Old 11-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Water and Snow in thru Chimney

Happy Thanksgiving Christo!

I think that perhaps they designed their cover/cap for chimneys with greater lengths than the short runs we have in most of our WFOs. Longer lengths giving more time for the gasses to cool. I'm all set to measure the temps I get in tomorrow's burn and while I won't be trying for a high heat burn I expect to get the flue gasses to burn clear and clean. The thermometer I have tops out at 900F so if it's more than that I'll have to figure something else out by which to measure the temperature.
Happy Eating,
Wiley
Old 11-26-2008, 07:50 PM

My chimney is open to the elements. The only problem is that any descending water washes soot onto my brick floor. This is an aesthetic issue only: but I've still been meaning to put up a flue cap.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:12 AM
Master Builder

Awww Wiley.... No big scary fire today?

That will be some good data for us.

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Master Builder

Here's hoping that everyone's Thanksgiving went as well and was as enjoyable as ours.

I started my fire at 9:00. It was not a huge fire and by the time the oven had setted in to a nice clear exhaust the temperature of those gasses exiting the chimney measured 635F. That was measured at the top of a four ft. single wall SS chimney. I will measure the temps the next time I do pizza or have a raging fire as this fire was quite tame compared to my usual inferno.

The turkey (14.4 lbs) went in at 10:00 and was ready 3 1/2 hours later. I think I could have shortened that time by twenty minutes or so. The cover was left off during the first thirty minutes when the oven was the hottest. And I kept a small fire /bed of coals going throughout the cooking and rotated the roaster every half hour. It was very gratifying to see of the two turkeys served (I carved and both were served at the same time) mine was rapidly and almost completely consumed while the standard oven baked one was left untuched until mine was all but gone. Lots of nice comments about the mild smokey flavor. Here's a photo of the bird as it came out of the oven.

Also this was the first real test of my remade smoke door.The Hardibacker one finally broke into about a dozen pieces. Basically having reached a state of fragility that it could not withstand any handling at all. It was so broken as to make it difficult to use it as a pattern. The new one is made of 10 guage steel plate (1/8 inch for those not familiar with guage thickness).

The new smoke door works well and to my pleasant surprise is much better at controling the oven's panting. While the smoke back blasting out the front (to be immediately sucked back in) is diminished, the pant itself is louder and now there is small yet decernable puffing of smoke out the top of the chimney (in time with the pant). I will set up, record and make a posting of this panting as I find it quite cool.

Wiley
Attached Thumbnails
Water and Snow in thru Chimney-thanksgiving-turkey-2008.jpg