Old 08-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Laborer

Red face Re: Versachi's 42" oven!

Just posting a few pics of my progress over the last couple of weeks.

Cheers, John
Attached Thumbnails
Versachi's 42" oven!-img_1955_2.jpg   Versachi's 42" oven!-img_1939_1.jpg   Versachi's 42" oven!-img_1956_1.jpg  
Old 08-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Versachi's 42" oven!

nice work.....keep it up, your on a roll.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Serf

John

Looks great very nice work, very insparational to see a fellow Canadian making an oven. I'm planning a spring start to my oven since fall is comming and don't see me having time this year. But very much looking foreward to seeing your's and getting some idea.

Mark
Old 08-17-2007, 07:47 AM

Just out of curiosity, what's the dark gray mortar? Are you using Ref-mix?

Great looking work, btw. It's good to see the pre-built entry arch idea being adapted.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Laborer

Cool Re: Versachi's 42" oven!

I figured it wouldn't take long before the sharp eyes around here asked what kind of mortar I was using. I must confess to using a premix mortar . I know that it is taboo but I talked it over with my supplier and I tried a pail and was happy with it. Time will tell how good the bond is but 2 days after building my arch I was able to stand on it without any hesitation. The mortar is made by Vesuvius in Canada and I can get it in a 55 pound pail.

I felt making the arch first and letting it set would allow me to work around it without bumping into it or moving it while trying to set the dome bricks. I took that idea from Carmarina's build.

Cheers, John
Old 08-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Serf

How long did it take for the vermiculite mixture to cure? I poured my hearth today and was wondering when I can start laying the cooking floor.
Thanks

Pictures look great!!
Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Journeyman

If yours is anything like mine, about 5-7 days.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Laborer

Smile Re: Versachi's 42" oven!

I was busy doing other things so I didn't lay anything on mine for a few weeks. I was a little concerned that my vermiculite wasn't setting properly but after 4-5 days it dried out nicely and firmed up. Good luck with your build Bamagirl.

Cheers, John
Old 08-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Apprentice

That vermiculite mix is curious stuff. For awhile it seems like it will never firm up, then it gets hard enough to start working on. As it fully cures, it actually gets quite hard -- I've stood on it any number of times now.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Laborer

Talking Re: Versachi's 42" oven!

Well the end of the dome is near. Setting the brick now is becoming a challenge. Very easy to give up on a piece and say "good enough" after you have bent over to look inside the dome to see if it fits nice 3 or 4 times! I have been able to get away with no supports to hold up my brick but I will on the next row as gravity is beoming a factor.

I switched over to bricks cut in thirds to allow for tighter joints. Only problem is that I find that it becomes harder to avoid joints lining up in prior rows. This can be avoided by cutting a little off the offending brick but once again there is that "good enough" factor which I promised myself I wouldn't do.

The hole I have left in my dome does not look very round because I let the first few rows of the dome run straight into the arch rather that give them the true curve needed to keep the circle intact.

Hoperfully I can post some new pics this weekend of the completed dome!

I may even get inside and clean it for all of you to see

Cheers, John
Attached Thumbnails
Versachi's 42" oven!-img_1980_1.jpg   Versachi's 42" oven!-img_1982_1.jpg