Old 06-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Serf

Default Re: Vermiculite only insulation?

Great, thanks for the info Lars,

I was planning on cladding with vermicrete, but now I am thinking about getting a blanket and then adding loose vermiculite around that.

The only downside is that the blankets are really expensive and I can't get them locally in Raleigh, NC.

--J
Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Journeyman

Jonny,
I found a surprising supplier a few months after I was first looking around for this stuff. The company I got some ceramic blanket from is called Plibrico ( I think they have some locations in the east) and it was going to be about $75 for a 2" layer all over the dome. ( something like (50 sq. ft. by 1") They might ship you a box, it is not that heavy.

It is really scratchy stuff, though. ( for some reason I didn't think it was going to be that bad , you know, like fiberglass, but it is worse) Could be because I am putting on the dome with metal lath on the outer layer, and filling between with vermiculite portland. That metal lath is like a thousand hypodermic thorns...

Luckily, I am almost done with that, and at this point, I am not too worried about the oven getting up to temp, or holding temp... that thermal mass is really massive.

L.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Journeyman

Jonny,
There is some kind of Plibrico in Durham, NC... I would at least call them and see.

The location here has firebrick, insulating firebrick, castable refractory mortar... lots of esoteric high temp stuff.

L.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Serf

Wow, thanks for the lead. I called them and they have a plant in north Virginia, and they sell all the stuff.

They show a Durham NC site on their map, but they don't have a warehouse here anymore, but they do have one up in virginia, which is just a couple of hours away.

Cheers,

J
Old 06-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If if is contained by an outside structure, just use the loose vermiculite.

Mixing it with portland cement is just so that it can hold a shape.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Serf

new to site and interesting, I was thinking of making a frame box, or biscuite tin, about 12in by 12in, by 2in depth. Then line inside the frame with ally foil leaving excess to fold over later. Fill the foil with vermiculite, then fold over with the excess ally foil , and you have made a vermiculite brick.Make sveveral bricks until dome is covered. Then cover with chicken wire, then cover with 2in vermiculite concrete mix and let set. If I am correct that would be a better way than a solid vermiculite concrete mix, with more expansion. I am making one on a trailer, so i have loads of questions, if anybody can help
Old 09-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Serf

Hi All,

Well, it has been a couple of years since I finished and everything is holding together quite well.

As for the vermicrete cladding on the dome, I ended up just using straight vermicrete (probably a little more vermiculite than normal to keep it light) and trowled about 4-inches on the dome and the transition to the chimney.

Then I backfilled the entire brick enclosure with loose vermiculite and it insulates very very well and retains heat for about 3-days. We'll fire it to about 950-1000 and then on the 3rd day, it'll be about 300 in the dome and 250 on the floor. Plus, I don't have a very good insulating door. I just used a double-thick layer of 5/8" drywall and covered it with aluminum foil as a temporary solution. After 2 years, I am still using it and it works great.

Best,

JZman
Old 09-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryready View Post
new to site and interesting, I was thinking of making a frame box, or biscuite tin, about 12in by 12in, by 2in depth. Then line inside the frame with ally foil leaving excess to fold over later. Fill the foil with vermiculite, then fold over with the excess ally foil , and you have made a vermiculite brick.Make sveveral bricks until dome is covered. Then cover with chicken wire, then cover with 2in vermiculite concrete mix and let set. If I am correct that would be a better way than a solid vermiculite concrete mix, with more expansion. I am making one on a trailer, so i have loads of questions, if anybody can help
I think this is a pretty good idea. It gets around the problem of having to remove lots of water. It may also be prudent to poke quite a few small holes through the foil bricks to allow moisture out.