Old 03-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground

You're welcome, CVCrash.

Check your messages.

Today was a day of rest away from oven building. Tomorrow I will finish the 7th course. I'll also modify my indispensable tool to accommodate a little narrower brick as I begin to close in the top of the dome. I've found it useful to make up several strips of lath to support the bricks from the bottom so I can move the tool to the next station. As the bricks get more vertical they are harder to keep from moving until the mortar has set. The support sticks are a practical approach and allow a little more rapid progress.

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Serf

Here are a couple pics of the work yesterday, I managed to take the day off and make some progress.

Did the 3:2:1:.5 recipe with bricks soaked overnight and the process seemed smooth. Covered it when I was done with a soaked moving blanket and plan on keeping that wet for a couple days.

Think my next move is to create the inner arch and cut those bricks. Probably make a form for it as I want it to be an arch style, 20 inch wide and 12 inch clearance at the top. Im off again on Sunday and would like to get another layer or two done.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-004.jpg   Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-003.jpg   Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-002.jpg   Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-001.jpg  
Old 03-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Master Builder

I was under the impression that you shouldn't soak your brick nor should you mortar your floor for some reason?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Serf

Well I was thinking soaking the bricks would help the mortar cure in the dessert as well as prolong the life of my diamond blade.

Think next time just a quick soak for the remainder.

As for the mortar on the floor, the mixture underneath is just fireclay, sand and h2o. I spread a little of the mortar with my finger accross the joints to make it smoother. Think there is only a 1/8-1/16 inch built up. Figured I could cut that out if needed and shop vac a brick up if needed provided it wasn't one the dome was resting on.

Cheers, thanks for the feedback, I would not have even fathomed the thought of doing this without this forum.

I am a chef by trade and have iced more cakes than motared bricks.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Serf

inner arch complete, came to 13.5" center height under the keystone.

got a small test of whats to come as far as cutting bricks to fit

all in all think it looks pretty good

no time to start measuring for the 20" dome an get all the shims cut
Attached Thumbnails
Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-001.jpg   Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-002.jpg   Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-008.jpg   Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-009.jpg  
Old 03-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Journeyman

Hi All,

Who needs a wooden form? Look at the geometry of the arch, perfect, and he used materials at hand to do this beautiful work. I'm impressed.

Cheers,

Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Journeyman

I think you do soak the bricks before mortaring, otherwise the mortar dries out way too fast. You don't want them dripping wet or glossy, but if they are bone dry the mortar doesn't have time to set before it dries out and you lose your bond (they crack and separate). But I could be wrong.

Mike
Old 03-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Serf

does anyone have the measurement for the shims to bring a 42" diameter oven to a 20" interior height? i realize the tool will get me to a 21" height, just would like to have the shims cut and lay it out on the floor once before i get going to visualize it.

i have a half brick soldier coarse followed by a second coarse with no angle

planning on starting the arch on the third coarse
Old 03-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Serf

this weeks progress... pretty confident on how the dome is comming along.

cutting the bricks for the dome transition to the inner arch is challenging.
Attached Thumbnails
Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-006.jpg   Vegas Pompeii getting off the ground-007.jpg  
Old 04-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcrash View Post
cutting the bricks for the dome transition to the inner arch is challenging.
I went through this painful process of getting the dome to arch transisiton. Not sure if this will help but let me know if you have any questions...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/pi...ld-7155-8.html (Pizza Bob's 42" Build)

~Bob

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!