Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Using rock instead of brick

Looks like there's some decent production is Cusco : Energy efficiency for brick producers in Peru - YouTube

I think you need to do a bit more looking before you write off an entire countries brick production. You should still be able to find some form of fire brick, kiln lining, or even large flue pipe you could break up. Also remember that the brick you see making walls(and crumbling) isn't the brick (ideally) you want to use in your oven anyway.

My oven (thus far):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

When traveling in Europe a few years ago we saw lots of ovens that had been made from stone. Most of the stone ones were in castles, looked pretty rough on the inside, but must have been hundreds of years old. Don't know what kind of stone was used, but the interiors looked pretty good and looked like they'd be still usable. If you source your material locally and it's free, then all it costs you is your own labour.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:52 AM
Serf

Here is the problem with your suggesting products from cusco... I live in Lima which is 2 days drive from cusco. It just doesn't seem feasable to drive to cusco to get bricks for an oven. The problem with Lima and the trades here is once they get established in doing something a certain way, they never change it even if it doesn't work so well. If you have never been here and seen it, you will never understand. I am not here to get intoo a debate about a country however. I am here to learn about building a brick oven and what to look for in a quality brick.. that way if I do happen to find good bricks here, I will know that I am looking at and won't assume they are like the other crappy bricks. Also, I came across a plaster company page that shows a photo of a brick wall built with cement on the bottom and lime plaster on the top. The brick touching cement has completely started to crumble. The brick touching lime plaster are perfect. What are your thoughts on this? Would lime plaster hold up in an oven? I am not sure I can even find lime plaster here...
Old 11-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Serf

ogorir, I just watched that video... Those are exactly the kind of bricks I want to avoid and the most common type of brick made here. They use them for building homes here. They are very fragile. The only use I could see in an oven is to use a layer underneath the floor of the oven to aid in an insulation layer. the hollow bricks could be filled with an insulation material and then have good brick stacked on top of them. Any thoughts on this idea? Would that work?

And please don't think I am being a negative nancy. I am just a bit confused here as to what I should be using down here. there are not the same resources here as there are in the United States, Europe, Australia, etc. This is a 3rd world country. I have to be creative, yet I dont wan't to build something that doesn't work or falls apart and waste the money and time put into it.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The brick under the portland plaster crumbled because portland plaster is not a breathable membrane, lime plaster is. As I stated, those brick are fine for any purpose where they will not be exposed to wet and wet/cold conditions, like in an oven or in a lime plastered structure.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Serf

Ok, thank you for the reassurance Tscarborough. I appreciate it. As for the hollow bricks they have here, do you think they would work for the insulating layer under the floor? i was thinking if trying them and possibly filling them with a porous material.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Assuming you don't have access to vermiculite, perlite or ceramic blankets or boards, if you have pumice available that would work as insulation. For that matter, it might be worth omitting the brick and make a pumice/portland slab.

The downside to using hollow core under the floor brick is added mass...unless you want a heat sink for longer heat retention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Serf

I have not seen perlite or vermiculite here anywhere. I haven't even looked for ceramic blankets or boards. I wouldn't even know where to look for those. I may be able to find pumice. I understand your thoughts of the hollow brick acting as a heat sink. Looks like I will have to so more digging into what I can find here for insulation. Problem is... they don't really insulate anything here so there is really no need for it. the only type of insulation i have seen here is fiberglass and pseudo fiberglass. Would those work at all?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I wouldn't recommend fiberglass because of the chemicals involved in it's manufacture and it would vitrify from the heat.

Another consideration is whole glass bottles encapsulated in clay. It is safe, and low budget cob builds use that technique often.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Serf

Ahhh, that wouldn't be good! thank you for the heads up. I may give the bottles a go.

Last edited by josh_r; 11-07-2013 at 07:59 PM.