Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Under way in Socal

Hi Chris,

I enlarged the ceiling photo, because of the spacing between each brick is so defined, optically they look independent of each other. When I look at a typical thin mortar application I feel a solid wall effect, where your has an airiness or lightness to it, to me.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Apprentice

Hi Chris,

Great build! Good luck this weekend with your first cook! You will enjoy it as much as you enjoyed building your WFO!!

Aceves

P.S. I sent you a PM. Please take a look at it and let me know. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Laborer

Thanks gents...I haven't had time to search the forum on this yet but I think I remember this being the way it goes. My oven looks like a black and tan right now, lots of black residue on 3/4 of the dome and I can't smell any more moisture coming off it... The curing fire crept up to about 450 today..I'm getting a reading of about 230-250 at the floor/dome junction now so I think the moisture is pretty much gone?

So my thought is fire it up w/ some good ol oak and see what happens? Boy Scouts in the outback of Southern California (if there is such a thing) was a good lesson learned on how hot an oak fire will burn.

Laurentius- Thank you for the compliment. It wasn't intended but I do agree with you and I think it has to do with looking at so many full size brick domes. Gianni Foccacia sent me a pic of a fossilized, authentic Pompeii oven and it was built with, well what we would call splits. Those were probably just run of the mill "bricks" back in the day but I thought that looked "correct" for the scale of the dome, thus I was determined.

If I were to build a second one (I would definitely recruit some labor) I would do a 2/3 size full brick soldier 1st course, cut the floor to fit inside, splits on the dome and full size brick arches. I think the splits look a little whimpy in the arches but luckily mine was intended to be enclosed all along...
Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Journeyman

The oven looks great. Coming along fantastically.

Bill
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Apprentice

Congrats on curing fire, this is when the real fun begins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Laborer

The darn thing works!! Party was a hit..funny thing is my wife loved showing the picture of the way it looked the day before! Truth be told it wasn't perfect, well not finished anyways, but it worked like a charm!! I'm still working on the aesthetics and trying to figure out what I did right and what I did wrong so I can share it with all you out there who were so helpful to me. Here are some pics from the day before, the day of and progress to date.

I look forward to getting some good recipes and cooking techniques going...we invited a friend of ours over who happens to be reasonably well respected chef and get some pointers..which of course I will share!
Attached Thumbnails
Under way in Socal-partyprep.jpg  
Old 11-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Laborer

more pics..I have some other ones but they are too large..I'll dumb them down and post later!
Attached Thumbnails
Under way in Socal-facade.jpg   Under way in Socal-domeclearing.jpg   Under way in Socal-counterinlay.jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Glad the party went well. We have 6" of snow here in Salt Lake.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log