Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Under way in Socal

Quote:
Do you think that's going to affect anything? Not too sure exactly what is going on there, there are no holes or anything, it just appears to be discoloration
Boy, doesn't that brick look familiar! I don't know (at least not yet) if its going to affect anything. I do know that bricks fire from the outside in and have heard that the perimeter of a brick's material is more refractory than the middle. From the pics below you can see quite an inconsistency in color, which may or may not affect long term performance.

Quote:
GF- It is a pretty sweet deal when they are available..the bad thing is your mind starts thinking "Well, maybe I'll just get another 200 bricks and build a smoker...or???"
Uh, I bought a second pallet of bricks at the same time as my first pallet, with the idea of a second, smaller (low-dome) dedicated pizza oven as well as a tandoor. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

John
Attached Thumbnails
Under way in Socal-6th-course-front.jpg   Under way in Socal-brick-discoloration.jpg  
Old 08-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Laborer

GF- Pretty funny! The ones I bought were first quality so it doesn't look like yours are to "secondy". The splits are uniform throughout so I suspect you are correct that they were fired all the way through.
Attached Thumbnails
Under way in Socal-splitpic.jpg  
Old 08-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Laborer

Be forewarned...a tile saw cutting firebrick will wake up a baby...that's a very bad thing.

Progress has been a bit slow but I think I finally figured out how to configure my entry and incorporate a heat break. I REALLY don't like the idea of having ceramic rope and silicone around my cooking area so I am going to try this w/o either. I'm going to try the tried and true 1/4" air gap on the vent/entry floor that will fill with ash as time goes by and maybe some type of vermicrete for the arches...worse comes to worse it looks like ceramic rope and hi temp caulk!!!

I cut my inner floor w/ a 1/4"-3/8" expansion gap around the perimeter. My inner arch sleepers are sitting on the 1st layer of splits and the 1st dome course is locking them in. I plan to cut the same recess in the arch bricks.

Hopefully my thought process is correct here- fire bricks are basically fire clay and sand so the leveling bed of fire clay/sand is a form of thermal mass. If I need to use the same leveling medium in between the split layers, I'm OK- it's not going to act as an insulator.

The arches seem to make a little more sense everyday...hopefully that's how Michaelangelo felt as well...
Attached Thumbnails
Under way in Socal-floor-entry3.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnicholson View Post
The arches seem to make a little more sense everyday...hopefully that's how Michaelangelo felt as well...
So true. Same thing happens with the vent opening, the dome closing...etc., Thats what's so nerve wracking and exciting about the entire build.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Laborer

Thanks Dino- It's good to hear that legendary WFO'ers such as yourself and Giannni toil over the same stuff I am.. I'm starting to get ahead of myself at this point and found myself looking at mixers on ebay today though...must focus...must focus...
Old 08-21-2012, 06:25 AM
Master Builder

CN

Good looking corner build. So, hurry up and finish so i can copy your ideas already.
Tracy

Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Laborer

Thanks Tex...It's been along time coming.. my backyard isn't all that big and that corner sits at a 45 degree, and about 5 steps, to my kitchen. Perfect outdoor kitchen location and I have been using it in it's unfinished state quite a bit so far this summer. Perfect for a fish fry, searing, soon to be pizza/roasting, etc....

So I'm putting down my dual layer split floor with a dry mix of 1:1 fire clay/sand and tapping them with a rubber mallet. Seems to be working well and my thoughts are either 1. the moisture from the vermicrete layer will harden the dry mix or 2. I'll wet polish the 2nd layer and let the water from that set the base, any thoughts on that are more than welcomed.

Also, going to use the dry mix in between the split layer to level...gotta do something.. thank god for the alphabet and numbers..roman numerals just wouldn't work for me

Last edited by cnicholson; 08-22-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: forgot pics
Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Laborer

and the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Under way in Socal-floor4.jpg   Under way in Socal-floor5.jpg  
Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Laborer

Ok...my first course + w/ the dome... a couple of things.. I am using the homebrew mortar method. When we did our remodel I used it to transition the clay/brick chimney to a duravent (per the duravent installer recommendations) and it seemed to work well.

So, I'll admit it's not the first time I have put mortar to a brick- it's my second, but it's the first time I've ever taken it seriously or expected it to hold in a fire raging at 1000 degrees so I'm a little paranoid about doing it right. My questions at this point are:

1. Can I go back and pack the areas that are light on mortar and get satisfactory results?

2. I got a little too excited with the first 7-8 bricks (yeah..you guys know what I'm talking about) and forgot to soak them in water before I mortared them. I did notice the bricks draining the moisture out of the mortar real quick.. Should I go back and reset these? My though is NO because they are really held in place by gravity?

3. I remember reading an article on chimneys once and it said the biggest fire hazard was a gap in the mortar. Does this hold true on the dome (or WFO as a whole) as well? I'm learning as I go how much mortar to put with the trowel and where but I know my first rodeo ain't looking pretty...

I'm going to have to get a good signature quote to use at his point..
Attached Thumbnails
Under way in Socal-firstcourse.jpg  
Old 08-26-2012, 06:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

cn,

1. Should be able to point and tuck your home brew into joints needing more mortar.
2. Soaking the brick allows you more time to work the placement of the brick. Move on if your aligment looks good, but soak your brick from here on!
3. Les did a mortarless build..... your will be point and tucking your joints anyway.

Good luck, interested to see how splits work out for you.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log