Old 06-20-2012, 03:23 AM
Laborer

Default Re: UK Pompeii & BBQ build

Adding to this, found some info on porcelain/ceramic tiles:

The ingredients in this type of product are carefully selected for their ability to withstand very high firing temperatures up to 1,400C , resulting in a fully vitrified body, with a typical water absorption figure of less than .05% making this type of product frost proof with the strongest body, relative to thickness, of any ceramic tile.

Obviously, I would suggest trying unglazed ones - but I reckon those should do quite nicely if you can find some which are unglazed and thick enough to withstand the pizza paddle scraping...

M

EDIT: Or maybe porcellain tiles?

Porcelain tile is comprised of 50% feldspar and is fired at a much higher temperature (2400C) than traditional ceramic tile. This makes porcelain tile even harder and more dense than other tile products. Because of its high durability, porcelain is more resistant to scratches and can withstand extreme temperatures.

Last edited by Spinal; 06-20-2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

By all means give anything a try, but just because a refractory material has been fired to a high temperature does not qualify it as suitable. It may well withstand the temperature required, but may not withstand sudden increase in temperature that WFO's typically are fired at. My guess is that they'll crack really easily, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong, try them
Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Laborer

I think porcelain would be too brittle to withstand logs being thrown in and knocks from the peel and any other tools that get poked in. My tiles seem to be holding up fine so far with the few curing/drying fires I have done so far.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Serf

hi faz realy interested to know how your builds going as im about to start on mine with heater brickss, is yours finished yet ???? regards dave
Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Laborer

Hi Dave,

I really need to update my thread. Yes the oven is finished and is working well, I just need to build a door so I can do some baking/roasting as well as pizzas.

The quarry tiles have also stood up well to the fires so far so they're looking good too.

Faz
Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: UK Pompeii & BBQ build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faz View Post
Hi Dave,

I really need to update my thread. Yes the oven is finished and is working well, I just need to build a door so I can do some baking/roasting as well as pizzas.

The quarry tiles have also stood up well to the fires so far so they're looking good too.

Faz
Glad to hear it Faz, any pictures?

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Laborer

Yes I do need to update the thread, but need to sort out my pictures first. It's been kind of hectic here so I haven't had chance yet. Hopefully I'll do it in the next few days