Old 06-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: UK Pompeii & BBQ build

Faz,

You may have a problem with water accumulating at the back of the oven where the supporting slab meets the wall. If it were mine I'd be drilling some holes in the wall, before your build gets to a point where this is inaccessible, so it can drain away there.

Dave
Old 06-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Laborer

I wil post a picture of the cut surface later on. It is a bit late to rip it out and start afresh, as the dome is now 2/3 complete!!

I have thought about the water accumulation issue already and I am planning on creating a fall from the rear corner to the front to allow the water to drain away. The surface will be tiled so hopefully the water will flow away quite easily. That's the plan anyway!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faz View Post
I wil post a picture of the cut surface later on. It is a bit late to rip it out and start afresh, as the dome is now 2/3 complete!!
If the bricks are indeed concrete you will have no option unless you like eating grit with every mouth full as the concrete will disintegrate rather rapidly with heat and flames.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Laborer

True, but they are not concrete bricks!!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

There are refractory bricks and there is refractory concrete.

Everything else is not refractory and as Al says will not likely perform adequately in the long run.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"There are refractory bricks and there is refractory concrete.

Everything else is not refractory"

How about cob, ceramic paper, hot face ceramic fibre, soapstone.... ? They are all refractory.

But I do agree that those heat bank bricks look dodgy, I think Faz should find out how they are rated instead of building it and find out (too late) the hard way.

Last edited by david s; 06-03-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:11 AM
Peasant

I believe in the UK there has been several successful ovens built with storage heater bricks, I don't believe they are simply concrete but each maker might use a different type of brick but they look similar to other bricks folks have used. A cross section would be an interesting photo to check.

hi Faz :-)
Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Laborer

Hey Turkey!

Here is a cross section of a brick. The bricks are very dense and I believe the dark flecks are magnetite.

I have had a blow torch on full blast on a piece of brick until it glows, then let it cool, then heated it again, then let it cool and then heated it for a third time until it glows. The brick was fine even with this aggressive temperature cycling so I am optimistic my build will be fine.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quick Bing search indicates that storage bricks are made from ferric oxide, instead of aluminum oxide used in fire bricks. If one can generalize based on the fact that Aluminum is a much better conductor of heat than Iron, then they probably won't absorb heat as readily as a normal fire brick. So you are likely to use more wood to get/keep your oven hot - but they are probably fine in terms of temperature cycling.

I would be more concerned with your plan to use terracotta tiles for your oven floor. As Brickie points out, those aren't temperature stable.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Laborer

The tiles are quarry tiles rather than terracotta. Quarry tiles are fired at high temperatures so should be fine for the oven - though they do look very similar to terracotta they are a whole lot tougher

Quarry tile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia