Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Total cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by okn View Post
Remember, my design is way outside normal specs, but this will give you an idea.
That's a very important thing to note for anyone considering building a Pompeii. I admire an oven built for <$1000 - but looking at the line item breakdown of your oven cost is probably a better guide for estimating what a standard Pompeii might cost than fixating on the total. A piece of stainless Duravent can set you back the cost of the steel for your stand, supports, shelf, and chimney!

A $1k Pompeii would be tough to do without finding a lot of supplies free or used. I felt relieved just seeing that geisen stopped counting at $5k!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Peasant

The joy your family will get out of a Pompei oven by far outstrips the costs and effort to build it. I cannot talk to the costs of your kit, but in dollar terms it will probably be expensive to most.

I have long since forgotten how much it cost me to build my oven. It is really awesome to have and we use it every week. If you can afford it - go for it.

Good luck

Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 AM
Master Builder

Plus it doesn't seem as much if you buy a bit here and a bit there........what did I spend THAT much!!

brickie in oz likes this.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Journeyman

I started out thinking I was going to build a small cob oven, but quickly realized that I was going to want more out of my "first retirement project".

I've attached a pdf summary of my costs to date for my build (The Dragonfly Den). Oven materials costs are those directly connected with the oven, i.e. bricks & concrete. Oven equipment & labor are for power tools and things I had to hire done such as a buying a chop saw and paying for site preparation. After I built the base oven, I needed to build an enclosure for it...and then upgrade my beer making room into a prep room for baking...and then build a wood shed. I hope the summary makes sense and gives you some basic idea of the costs that you may incur once you decide to build a WFO for fun and entertaining.

I certainly was a little shocked by the total cost to date (of almost $9,500), but it's been the best investment (in my personal happiness) that I've ever made! I've also been pleasantly surprised by how little it costs and how personally satisfying it is to give bread to all my friends and to those folks who helped me work on this project. Life is Good!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DragonflyDenSummaryCost.pdf (55.2 KB, 91 views)
)

Photo albums

Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Laborer

I started on a tight budget. I cringed and paying the price for mortar. Chose Home-brew mortar to save money. As the build progressed the $$$ increased. Once I started finishing the dome, spending $40 on 2oz of concrete stain did not cross my mind. Friday night Pizza parties are becoming routine even as I was finishing the project. I get 2 questions these days. Can you make dough for Friday? And, When are you going to finish it... I will post pictures soon.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Laborer

Oh yeah. I have spent about $2,000.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am in for about $5000.00 US if you do not count the Patio and Landscaping around the oven. if you add that it is more like $10,000

But where are you going to get pizza, bread and other food like comes out of this oven?

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Total cost-img_1360.jpg   Total cost-img_1010.jpg   Total cost-img_2344.jpg   Total cost-img_1606.jpg  
david s likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Apprentice

I am around 3500 its complete but the outdoor kitchen additions will have in in the 15000 area, ouch!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't feel too bad. I spent $15 grand just getting a retaining wall put in. A bunch of that cost was just to carry dirt down the stairs, as there was no other way to get rid of the excess.
Total cost-ec.jpgTotal cost-f4.jpgTotal cost-f9.jpgTotal cost-wp_000246.jpg
Patio, oven, and kitchen all added to the cost. I don't even want to say the total...

But I love it!

and then there was getting rid of that Laurel tree that is in the far right corner. This was the root ball. It's the size of a big block V8, and weighed about the same.

Total cost-wp_000194.jpg
irelande5 likes this.

Last edited by deejayoh; 04-11-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:33 AM
Master Builder

That's a pretty good effort deejayoh.

Tags
cost, how much, materials, pompeii