Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Laborer

Default Re: took the plunge!

i found vermiculite at local garden supply. i bought six bags actually all they had. is there room in the 5:1 formula to play or will it not work. seems i may be heavy on the cement. i have no idea what this stuff is going to do when i mix it!! this could be a $75 experiment gone wrong
Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Stick to the 5:1 or 6:1 ratio. More cement is not necessary for strength and will reduce the insulating value.

When you mix, mix gently by hand. You do not want to break down the vermiculite particles.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Laborer

Well that was a funny experience! bought the six bags got back to house and realized they were not even close to what i needed. I modified my form and shrunk it down, and went back to garden supply to get 6 more. Back at home started to mix first batch 5 bags mixed with the portland and realized i had roughly half of what i needed! so i raced back to store and bought all they had and went to another place and bought all they had! 23 bags of vermiculite! at $7.95/ bag!!! Almost 200 bucks! anyway its done and i can rest for next couple of days and really start to figure out the dome and the cuts i need to make. Here are some pics of todays progress
Attached Thumbnails
took the plunge!-get-attachment-7.aspx.jpeg   took the plunge!-get-attachment-8.aspx.jpeg   took the plunge!-get-attachment-9.aspx.jpeg   took the plunge!-get-attachment-10.aspx.jpeg  
Old 07-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Apprentice

Musta knocked you silly... all your pics are sideways!!

Yeah, I saw those bags at Lowe's and figured, no way I was paying that price... (Might be worth looking into a repackaging business!! Those pretty packages are pricey!) Had to look hard, but the key is pool supply houses. You'll need more to insulate later if you have an enclosure and you will know where to look to get a better deal next time.

The slab and prep work looks great!! Keep it up!

CB
Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Or masonry supply houses. You could get about 60 cubic feet of perlite for 200 bucks around here.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Laborer

stopped at all local pool company's and they said they use masonry sand or something besides vermiculite. they said the product i needed was called pool base or something. I have more money in the vermicrete layer than i did in the block stand!
Anyway my mind is on setting the floor, i am going to cut bricks tomorrow and then take a long weekend off and start dome next week. there is plenty of reading to do and pictures to look at to prepare me.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Laborer

I am thinking of setting the floor today! the vermicrete i poured yesterday seems solid enough! actually surprised me. Is this a bad idea? I feel like i cant do anything without re assurance from this forum! at some point i am going to have to trust my own judgement. Is it possible to be addicted to the forum? i am running from my yard into house to jump on computer or open my file that has the plans, checking things 3 times! i need my head examined
Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 AM

You're advised to keep the vermiculite damp for a week to cure it, but you can dampen the floor as well, if you want to move forward.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousdepot View Post
23 bags of vermiculite!
Looks Great!

I was shocked at 23 bags until I saw the bag. I ordered ours online from McMaster-Carr

As I remember, our vermiculite slab was still spongy after a day. I think I waited almost a week to build on it, however, if yours is solid, I say go for it.

I've been on other building forums but as soon as my project was finished, I left the forum. Here there are quite a few members with finished ovens so who knows, Fornobravo could be a lasting addiction.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
took the plunge!-vermiculite.jpg  
Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Laborer

Wow I never thought of mcmaster Carr! I have a damn account with them too! I have used them for aluminum pipe, never thought of them for vermiculite. My problem was poor planning, lifetime problem!

Can I get the FB board wet?