Old 06-22-2009, 04:49 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Tony's Florida 42" Round Forno

Hi Tony
I tip my hat to you! It was well in to the 90's this weekend. I know when I was working out in the garden this weekend I was drenched in sweat just walking out the door. The round slab looks good and thanks for posting the costs.
Regards
Larry
Old 06-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Laborer

Larry,

It was hot, even today, I didn't go near the slab until after 6:00 pm. I removed the forms but then read you should wait 3 days. Oops! I hope it stays round.

Larry were did you get your perlite and why did you decide to use that vs vermeculite?

See My Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Laborer

Hi Tony

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I got the perlite from Osprey Building Materials 1200 W Industrial Ave, Boynton Beach, FL‎ - (561) 733-4914‎. Get the Tile & plaster aggregate it was $11.00 per 4 cu ft bag. The reason I didn't use vermiculite was that I couldn't find any locally and the perlite was so cheap. In retrospect I liked the way that the perlite mixed with the Portland and was very happy with the results
Old 06-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Apprentice

It's good to see another south FL WFO build. I finished my build around December of last year and use it almost every weekend. As for the insulation, I used perlite on mine as I couldn't find any vermiculite. It has worked extremely well. Good luck. I look forward to your pics.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:14 AM
Laborer

SteveP,

Nice oven oven! I like the way you married the different colors and materials. I think it was the correct decision to go with a stone base vs painting it grey. It reinforces the appearance of a strong base.

The other correct decsion you made was to start the project when it was getting cooler outside, not in the summer. With this heat, I could probably bake without a fire! I'm going to try to do some work on the stand today, weather permitting.

I'm glad to hear the perlite is working out well, gives me more assurance. I'm probably going to go that route, seeing that some of the S. Florida forum builders are having difficulty locating vermiculte. If you don't mind, where did you get your insulation board and blanket?

See My Photos:

My thread:

Old 06-28-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I'm glad to hear the perlite is working out well, gives me more assurance. I'm probably going to go that route, seeing that some of the S. Florida forum builders are having difficulty locating vermiculte.
Perlite works fine, it's what I used. Being white, you get a better sense of when you have fully mixed the portland and the aggregate.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Laborer

dmun,

I had no idea, thanks for the heads-up.

Today, I dry stacked the stand blocks a couple of different ways. I want to create some opening in the stand so that when one looks at it, their vision continues to the background on the other side.

I placed some openings at different levels. In the first 2 images, I simply removed an 8x8x8 block and used full blocks for the 4th course.

In the second pair of images, I placed the 8x8x8 on its side to create the openings and used troughed out full blocks for the 4th course and would place a ring of rebar in it to tie all the blocks together.

I like the openings in the first pair because they are much larger this way but I'm concerned about the supporting strength in the wall. It doesn't appear as sturdy as the last set of images.

Any suggestions? Anybody?
Attached Thumbnails
Tony's Florida 42" Round Forno-dsc01710.jpg   Tony's Florida 42" Round Forno-dsc01706.jpg   Tony's Florida 42" Round Forno-dsc01712.jpg   Tony's Florida 42" Round Forno-dsc01713.jpg  

See My Photos:

My thread:

Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Journeyman

Hi Tony,

I did a rounded fire pit opposite my oven and used the half blocks for that. Looking at your different stacking ideas, if it were me, I would go with the blocks turned on their side to allow the 'see thru' effect, BUT make sure that you have about every 3rd hole ( at least... or every 2nd) lined up so you could fill for strong vertical column ( those blocks may not be all that well cured so as to be reasonably safe for an unconventional set up.)

That being said, if you DO stack them that way, I would also fill the gaps with mortar and then do a mortar skim coat over the entire outer face. The accumulation of weight with this oven, chimney, dome, face brick, flue, is a substantial amount -- and concrete works GREAT in compression... but blocks improperly stacked will need lots of mortar to get my ( and this is only my one opinion...you know, just a single vote...) confidence.

As usual, just my 2 cents worth.

Lars.

ps. I found Vermiculite in the Menard's insulation area... Bought 4 bags at $9.95/(3 cu.ft) each. I am on my 3rd 94# bag of portland... and 90 lbs. of fireclay.

Last edited by Lars; 06-29-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:26 AM
Laborer

Lars,
Thanks for the input. It's been so hot here with afternoon thunderstorms, that I've put everything on hold. Then I started thinking (that's always dangerous), I've decided to change my stand design. After communicating with some people, I think i may go with a stand similar to neil's. It would incorporate 4 sonotubes.

I'll keep everyone posted, If my plans don't change again.

See My Photos:

My thread:

Old 07-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Laborer

After some encouragement from Neil and Ratsy, I decided to go with sonotubes for my stand.
I dismantled all my blocks. Measured from the center of my foundation to the edge which was 40" and took 60% of this radius which equals 24". This is the location and center of my 8" sonotubes. Drilled 3 holes(leaving 2" of space between the sonotube walls) 3" down with a 3/4" bit into my foundation. Filled it in with anchorage epoxy from Home depot and placed 5' of 1/2" rebar into each hole.

The sonotubes were cut to 32".

The sonotubes were purchased from Lowes b/c they had a wax covering inside (unlike home depots which didn't) this will allow it to peel off easier, hopefully.

I'm going to use my blocks to stabilize the sonotubes while they are filled tomorrow and to keep the location of the sonotubes so i don't keep them outside over night.

Prior to putting the rebar in, i placed (2) 4'x8' 3/4" plywood over the entire area and marked the outer edge of the sonotubes underneath it to show where i have to cut the opening for the sonotubes in the hearth. 2 sonotube holes per plywood. I'll show a picture when i get to the hearth pouring.

Any heads up or suggetions?
Attached Thumbnails
Tony's Florida 42" Round Forno-dsc01713.jpg   Tony's Florida 42" Round Forno-img_0239.jpg   Tony's Florida 42" Round Forno-img_0250.jpg   Tony's Florida 42" Round Forno-img_0251.jpg   Tony's Florida 42" Round Forno-img_0247.jpg  

See My Photos:

My thread: