Old 01-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.

Thanks for the kind words Dino. Just when I think I've figured out how to cut the next ring it doesn't work. I got into a rush yesterday wanting to get the 8th ring done and messed up a few bricks. I've found that when I go back to it the next day it all comes together without a problem. But it started raining here about 4 AM so it is covered and I am resting. Oh, I'm baking bread in the kitchen oven. Man, I can't wait to bake in the WFO.

Tom
Old 01-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Apprentice

Nice sunny day today and got a lot done. Lost count, but I think I just finished the 11th ring. Too tired to go count. I will put the plug in tomorrow even if it rains.
It ain't pretty, but she is all mine and I know she will cook some wonderful meals for us and everyone that we entertain.
Cocktail time.

Cheers,
Tom

Third picture is my buddy.
Attached Thumbnails
Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-11th-ring-1-1-.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-11th-ring-2-1-.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-11th-ring-3-1-.jpg  

Last edited by trockyh; 01-28-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Apprentice

Looks great tom,
Those last bricks are really tight. I didn't even attempt to get such a good fit that far up the dome.

Looks like poochie lost an eye. Poor guy, how old is he?

Dave
Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Apprentice

Funny you mentioning the last bricks being tight. I cut them and slapped mortar on them as fast as I could and didn't really set them until I put the last one in. I fit is really tight and then adjusted the other bricks.
Apollo is my buddy, best dog I've had. Two years ago the vet took his eye out and found a tumor behind it. We've had an extra two great years with him and as you can see the tumor is growing. Most days he does great, but he sleeps a lot now. He will be 9 this June which is the upper end for Boxers.

Tom
Old 01-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Apprentice

Finished the dome and the front arch. Rain is to start tomorrow and don't know when it will stop, but just have the vent area to finish. Plan to start curing next weekend.
The front arch turned out really well.
Getting close to cooking.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-entry.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-front-arch.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-inside-dome.jpg  
Old 02-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congratulations Tom !!!

Your closed up dome looks super. I luv the shot from the inside and star shape your final ring/cap make. And you really moved quick on your outer arch. Looks nice. The keystone shape is great. Can't wait to see it without the supports.

Just a few more brick cuts for the vent transition and you'll be done. Isn't great to be talking about curing? You'll be cooking soon.

Regards, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Apprentice

Hey Dino, it is great to be this far. When I look at the pictures of all the bricks inside the dome it blows my mind that I did all that. Lots of brick cuts and mortar. I finished the outer arch today when I got home from work and started on the vent. Not sure how I will finish it so need to look at pictures of what has been done. I know I am suppose to plan, but it is easier for me to shoot from the hip. I'm very hands on and visual (3D visual).
Here are pictures of the arch without the form. I am please with it. Probably the best part of the oven. It is what we will see all the time.

Best regards,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-outside-arch-start-vent3.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-inside-dome1.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-outside-arch-start-vent2.jpg  
Old 02-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Apprentice

Awesome Tom,
That front opening should draw really well. Ours is only a brick wide and the smoke has trouble making the bend. With your first curing fires your beautiful dome brickwork will be covered in black soot. But, when you later get it really hot and those bricks reveal themselves again....priceless.

Dave
Old 02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Master Builder

Tom,

Congrads! Looks beautiful. And pretty quick work too.

You vent opening is perferct. I did mine very simialar and the draw is excelent. From my vent opening, I used a peice of chimney liner to transition to a eight inch (I.D.) piece of double-wall stove pipe. Stainless on the inside, galvanized on the outside. If you are interested in doing it like that, I have an extra piece of stove pipe. I salvaged three, used one for my oven, and gave one away already. You can have it if you want to use it. Like I said, it works great. I only had to buy a spark arrester (top thing), but that was about $85!

Again...Congrads!

dusty
Old 02-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Journeyman

Very nice work on the dome and opening Tom. I am going to start my dome next week. You made excellent time on this project.
Eric