Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trockyh View Post
I'm just trying to get it done enough to cook by my mom's birthday party in Feb.
Tom - That may be a bit aggressive, call Domino's. I think building into the arch is the biggest challenge. Keep your eye on the level. Almost every build has had a drop at this point. It's not a game stopper, but you will be fighting to get back to round and level in the succeeding rings. A simple tarp set up can keep you dry - at least you are not fighting the freezing ass temps that most people on this side of the orb are experiencing.

Good luck with the build!

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:52 AM
Apprentice

Looking good Tom,

I tried eyeballing the cuts for the arch transition and after throwing away several bricks and pulling my hair out trying to think in three dimensions, I remembered Dino had used foam pieces to model the bricks. I had some leftover foam wall insulation board I used for the arch form and it worked great. The arch transition went from frustrating to fun.

Dave
Old 01-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Apprentice

Hey Dave, I bought some oasis today from a florist. Bought more than I need, but didn't want to go back. $1 each, best $8 I ever spent. Pressed it down into the arch and have a 3D picture of what I need to cut on the brick.
Thanks Dino for coming up with this idea.
Dave, I think you are right, it is fun now.
Is this cheating? LOL

Tom
Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Apprentice

If your not cheating, your not trying! Looking good.

My projects:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:15 AM
Apprentice

Tom,

I created my entire project in my CAD system (SolidWorks) which really helped me visualize the tricky cuts. I didn't think it was cheating for a second. Now if I took steroids and finished my build in three days due to all the extra energy then I might consider that cheating like our MLB players...

I posted a section in my oven build link that details how I did my transition cuts:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/pi...d-7155-11.html (Pizza Bob's 42" Build)

Check it out and let me know if it helps.

Good luck with the build!

Best Regards,
Bob

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:35 AM
Apprentice

Hi Bob,
I read your oven thread and reread how you did your transition cuts. First, I want to say your build is beautiful. I used the cardboard to make a pattern and still had trouble. I just wasn't able to wrap my simple mind around 3 dimension cuts. Thanks for your posts, they did help. I marked a brick thinking it might work, but didn't want to waste any more bricks. Bought the oasis and simply pressed it into the arch and wallah I have a perfect picture now.
I will say, the brick I marked was close, but the cuts would have been too big, so another brick would have been waisted.
After today I'm off the rest of the week and it is to be nice Thur. and Friday. I should be able to get a lot done this weekend.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Apprentice

Got to work on the oven the past couple days and made some progress. I'm now past the transition and starting my 8th ring. It's not nearly as pretty as most I've looked at on the forum, but I think it will still cook pizza, bread, etc.
It is to rain starting tomorrow till ??? This is the start of El Nino I think. Lots of rain this next week, but I'm happy with my progress and will rest up till it stops.
Playoffs tomorrow, since I missed them today.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-7th-ring1.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-7th-ring2.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-7th-ring3.jpg  
Old 01-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trockyh View Post
Playoffs tomorrow, since I missed them today.

Tom
Tom - Not really. It was interesting from the start but then the "Saints came marching in". I'm watching the late game right now and it appears to be another blow out. (7:49 PM on the 15th, for the record).

You are doing a fine job on the oven - have no worries. At the end of the day, if you can cook in it , you nailed it.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Les, that is the most important thing. I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this as I've never done a project quite like it before. But I am having fun (most of the time).
Tomorrow I need to buy some more bricks to finish her off. Can't wait to cook in it.

Tom
Old 01-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great Tom, the 3rd pic looking down is a good shot of the smaller bricks you are using to wedge in so you have a real tight ring. You'd never know you're not a professional craftsman oven builder! Well, you will be by the time you're thru.
Ya, it looks like at least a week of rain so I hope you make good progress today . -dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread