Old 01-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.

Didn't get to work on oven much the past couple days. Had other things that took priority.
But I did get the second ring mostly done and the start of the third.
Don't think I will get time tomorrow, but hopefully this week as the weather is to be nice.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-second-ring-done1.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-second-ring-done2.jpg  
Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tom - looking good. Just a heads up, try and keep your brick off bond. The general consensus is that it will help to avoid (minimize) the cracks.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Apprentice

Tom,
I love the backdrop to your photos. Absolutely gorgeous.
dave
Old 01-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Apprentice

Les, thanks for pointing that out. Edit: this afternoon I went out and looked at it and I think the wide angle lens on my camera makes it look like the bricks are lined up, but the are actually staggered for the most part.

This is my first attempt at brick and mortar and I know they need to be staggered but somehow as I'm laying them I wasn't paying attention to that, just trying to get them lined up and at the right angle.

Dave thanks, we are blessed with a beautiful view of snow capped mountains and the valley below us has farms and horse ranches. It's nice to see the snow, but we rarely get any here. Had a few inches back in December that was gone the next day.

Tom

Last edited by trockyh; 01-04-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Apprentice

Worked on the inside arch today and I think it turned out pretty good. Sure hope it holds up.
While I was setting the bricks I looked up to see a rainbow and the sunset on the mountains. Had to stop to take pictures. Enjoy! Couldn't get all of it in one shot.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-arch-rainbow1.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-arch-rainbow2.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-arch-rainbow5.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-arch-rainbow6.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-arch-rainbow9.jpg  

Old 01-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good work Tom, beautiful rainbow AND arch.

So what's the height of that inner-arch you just finished? It's attractively low (not real "archy"). I like it.

Just asking so you can adjust the final height of the dome. It's best to keep the opening height at 63-65% of the dome height (using that as a max, the key is not to have an overly tall dome) so you can use that retained brick heat to cook your pizzas which will be about 19"-21" or less below it depending on your inner-arch height.

Thanks again for the mountain/rainbow pics. Us city folk who don't get out much really enjoyed it . Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Dino,
The arch is 12 inches. Is that too low? My wife made the paper templet which I used to make the support. Let me know if this will work as I can change it now, before I tie the rings into it.
Thanks again,
Tom
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No, not at all: 12" high inner arch is perfect . A final dome height of anywhere from 19"-21" will work out fine. You made your arch with such a nice arc, it "appeared" a little lower than that. It's funny that photos can alter how things look.
You're doing fine. Your domes looking great. Keep it up. Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 01-08-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Master Builder

Tom,
Looks fantastic! You're really rollin' now.
If I could offer any advice on your arch, it would be on your keystone. The rules are ancient and simple. It must always be in the middle, and it must be tapered. Keep this in mind on the outside arch.

dusty
Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Apprentice

Thanks dusty for your input. Here's to it not caving in (Cocktail in hand).
I worked on the oven over the weekend. Made some progress, but the dreaded transition to the arch is killing me. I've cut and mortared a couple rings, but am stuck on 5 at the moment. Didn't have time to work on it today and it is to rain the next few days.
I moved the saw under cover so I can cut the next coarse to have ready when the rain stops. I'm not complaining about the rain, I love it and we need it. I'm just trying to get it done enough to cook by my mom's birthday party in Feb.
Nothing like a deadline to get ya moving.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-5th-ring1.jpg   Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.-5th-ring3.jpg