Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Thinking about replacing my firebrick floor with refractory concrete and gas-and

For an oven that size I would expect you will need about 2 to 2 1/2 cubic feet of well seasoned firewood. To get an idea of how much that is; the bundles of firewood that are sold at the supermarkets are typically 3/4 cubic feet (check the packaging) - so you would need the equavelent about 3 of them.

Try "Pre-heating" with a small "camp size" fire for about an hour and a half then load it up. Fill the oven almost completely with the wood "teepee" style". When it catches, the flames should end up licking outside the vent and the door. This will be a big fire - remember the "plasma god" from star trek ? This should typically burn down to coals in 1 to 1 1/2 hour.

Last edited by Neil2; 07-20-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:31 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Thinking about replacing my firebrick floor with refractory concrete and gas-and

You guys are starting to worry me with the BIG fire talk! I was thinking nice slow afternoon, warm fire, red wine, sunset and then a few great pizzas. You guys make it sound like the fire brigade will come around to find out why next doors pet budgie died of heat stroke at 30mtrs.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You've got a large oven, even if it is well insulated it will take a big sustained fire to heat all of the surface area. Remember, you are shooting for at least 50% hotter than any indoor oven or broiler. If your not getting your oven to burn white (all the soot burns off the inside), then your fire just isn't big/hot enough.
As for the budgie...don't they taste like chicken?

RT
Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Apprentice

I couldn't eat Tweety so I can't tell you what they taste like.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Serf

They taste kinda like spotted owl, especially with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Apprentice

Spotted owl huh! Is that like pelican or more like eagle?