Old 11-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: ThermoJax's 42 oven

Thumbs up all around. I love cypress more than any other wood, and that looks like a tasty pizza.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Apprentice

Default Fieldstone applied

here you can see the fieldstone applied to the face of the box surrounding the oven and vent assembly. Metal lathe, nailed many places, then mud, then fieldstone piece by piece. I have a kind of keystone. So far I like the look. I got a "country carmel" color, that for the most part, matches the brick.
Attached Thumbnails
ThermoJax's 42 oven-img_20101114_135657.jpg   ThermoJax's 42 oven-img_20101114_135302.jpg  
Old 11-17-2010, 06:33 AM
Apprentice

That looks great! I especially like the flared entry, it really gives the oven presence compared to the usual small opening..

Dave
Old 11-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Apprentice

Today, the oven is finished. I went back to the sawmill and got 1 inch thick, 10 inch wide cypress boards, and made, using dowels and glue, two doors,stained and polyied, to match the mantle. The fieldstone glows in the setting sun. I started the whole outdoor kitchen on 6/28/10. So, just under 4 months for the giant cement pad, roof and oven build total. I sure learned alot. It was so fun. I can see why many here jones for their oven build days. I have the clean up to do yet. I have enough stone to do my columns, so I guess that will start next Monday, after the holiday
Attached Thumbnails
ThermoJax's 42 oven-img_20101123_161340.jpg   ThermoJax's 42 oven-img_20101123_161400.jpg  
Old 11-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Fieldstone applied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermoJax View Post
here you can see the fieldstone applied to the face of the box surrounding the oven and vent assembly. Metal lathe, nailed many places, then mud, then fieldstone piece by piece. I have a kind of keystone. So far I like the look. I got a "country carmel" color, that for the most part, matches the brick.
Hello ThermoJax,

Great looking build! I'm jealous and impressed you did the fieldstone yourself! I gave in and have a mason starting my fieldstone veneer this weekend or Monday.
I was curious why you chose to use tar paper behind the wire lath. I also purchased a rol of 30W tar paper that I plan on using as you did but I'm still hesitant as to whether this is the correct choice! I keep second-guessing myself that I should use Tyvek as the moisture barrier. The tar paper and Tyvek will both prevent moisture from entering the enclouse or getting behind the veneer. But, if moisture does get within the enclosure (to my vermiculite and 3"-4" of ceramic blanket), perhaps through some crack in the dome or small opening somewhere, the tar paper will not allow the enclosure to release moisture. The Tyvek does "breathe" in one direction and moisture can be released/removed from the enclosure. But then I worry about that released moisture getting behind the veneer causing damage! So that's why I decided to use the tar paper (I think) as opposed to the Tyvek. Perhaps I'm worrying way too much about moisture but living in CT I know that trapped moisture can cause problems...

Enjoy your oven - it looks great! I'll have pix of my veneer shortly.

~Bob

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Old 11-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Apprentice

Pizza Bob,

Absolutely loved your oven build. Yours is so precise. I just wish I could have gotten the solidworks files for each courses and printed them locally in order to use them as a guide for my build.

My construction buddies who stop by and drink beer with me all said, tar paper, so I never questioned them. They also said, "nail the heck out of the wire lathe, as the nails hold it all up" I am not surprised that you would know all the details of tyvek vs tar paper. After all, your motto here is a failure to plan is a plan to fail. Looking back, that motto would have served me well.