Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Texman Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amac View Post
who knows - its probably unlikely now - but the promise of a texan beer could tempt me.
anyhow glad to be of some assistance - I owe a lot to this forum - time to pay back a bit I guess.
Beer and Pizza on me, airplane tickets on you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Master Builder

Question Re: Texman Build

"Does that block on the form board slide up? If so good idea. One drawback of the IT is it doesn't keep the height consistent along the row - and a level is needed at least now and then. I tried to think of some attachment but gave up on it. Some hybrid IT and formboard would solve it".(Quote from Amac from Dennis build)
I have been thinking about the same thing. see crude sketches and see if this would work?
1. Use a plumb bob-might work after you get it settled; builder would have to retie at each course.
2. Framing square and clamp might be the easiest, it would depend on a level and clean floor, but so does the form method.
3. I am trying to think of linkage to do this with all thread.
4. Using wood it can be done with clamps i think easily.
Sorry about the drawings, i hope you can see what i am thinking.
Tracy
Attached Thumbnails
Texman Build-050112d-bob.jpg   Texman Build-042912wfo8-jig.jpg   Texman Build-photo0274-amac-jig.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Journeyman

Tracy
Quote:
Framing square and clamp might be the easiest, it would depend on a level and clean floor, but so does the form method
I had something like this in mind - but in the end the only part of the dome row where there is a real need is exactly the bricks which join to the arch when you get about halfway or more up the arch. Gulf used a laser level set up at the back of the dome which you can find on his (and my) thread. It looks like it would work well and did for Gulf. I had bought one of those (at some Lidl special buy thingy) but couldn't find it when I wanted it - so I had a little dip at those points even though I consciously fought it and thought it looked OK. It is actually hard to see.
BTW in case anyone is tempted to copy it - I changed those three hinged legs on my IT so that the three legs are at roughly 120į because there was some movement in the setup shown there.
Aidan
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Serf

Just to clear up any confusion. A brick that is stood upright with the 2" side as the face is a sailor. An upright brick with the 4.5 face showing is a sailor.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I think i can mark the unset arch bricks and recut them on wetsaw
Tracy,

This should go fairly quickly using your IT (I used a string). Start at the top-center and scribe down to the base of each side to get the line you want. Just make sure that you have spacers/wedges between the bricks to simulate the mortar gaps. Excellent build so far.
John
Old 05-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Master Builder

Question Re: Texman Build

I built the arch this weekend and set course 4 and started course 5. I was happy with the results of my labor thus far, until i was posting pics this morning. I was looking at the pictures of the arch and saw the droop.
I have literally spent hours reading threads to avoid it, and here i am infected with it. It would be tonight before i could remove any bricks, so i dont think i want to do that (mortar really set by then) I will go back and study the lessons i thought i had learned from the ones that mastered the droop and see if i can both figure out what i did wrong as well as how to fix it now.
I still think i did good on the arch. Getting better with the mortar too.
I am checking level in these pictures as you can see. Pretty good, but slightly lower on the right when facing the oven.
I didnt even see that droop till i was looking at the pictures. It is sneaky.
Tracy
I am using the steel pieces to hold brick in place (when i mix mortar too wet)
learning...
(i could build a pretty good oven if i started over now)
Attached Thumbnails
Texman Build-050712h.jpg   Texman Build-050712e.jpg   Texman Build-050712c.jpg   Texman Build-050712b.jpg   Texman Build-050712f.jpg  

Old 05-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
Just to clear up any confusion. A brick that is stood upright with the 2" side as the face is a sailor. An upright brick with the 4.5 face showing is a sailor.
Thanks-i used sailors then. first two courses vertical and then started the dome curve.
Tracy

Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Droop is just a bump in the road Tracy!

As far as your 'droop' goes, is the height of the arch correct? If yes, I wouldn't look back and would leave it alone. It is barely noticeable to me and it will not show much in the end....Noone will notice. If you must do it over, build a form with the size and shape you want and put the bricks against it. I'd leave it alone, there is very little value added with the effort to do it over....That is, unless you can't sleep at night

When you get older, many things 'droop'....your tolerance for 'droop' increases'....droop' isn't that bad in small doses

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 05-07-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Laborer

Hi Texman, I've gotta say I love your kitchen setting, I'm looking forward to building some sort of cover at my home oven, with winter coming up it makes it impossible on the wet days!
Keep up the good work.

Russell.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Tracy,

This should go fairly quickly using your IT (I used a string). Start at the top-center and scribe down to the base of each side to get the line you want. Just make sure that you have spacers/wedges between the bricks to simulate the mortar gaps. Excellent build so far.
John
Thanks John. I got the mark done, but did not have that much to cut. The first two arch bricks were set and needed adjustment. I used the angle grinder to remove the unwanted brick and bring the first two arch bricks back to a smooth transition to the inner wall of oven. The rest of the arch bricks were close so i decided i would use the same approach on them after the arch was set. Not the correct way to do this, but i think it will work.
I wanted to get them perfect before setting, but the i am still struggling with the top of the arch to the dome placement. I had it all set (i thought) and then built the arch. Now my arch center top is about 3/8" off according to the IT. I can make it work, i hope.
I changed my approach to setting brick too. As you said earlier, "cut three of four and set them" I was doing that, but always starting at the right side (facing oven) Now that arch is set, i am alternating from one side to another instead of starting at right an continuing around. It is a lot more enjoyable and i think produces a better result since it gives the brick time to set before pushing against them to set the next brick. I will probably have to make some "custom" cuts to correct the droop and extra 3/8" on arch. If that is the worst, i will jump for joy!
Tracy