Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Texman Build

Chris, your recipe is almost the same as mine. When you say high gluten flour, do you mean bread flour? Most flour is labeled as bread or all purpose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Chris, your recipe is almost the same as mine. When you say high gluten flour, do you mean bread flour? Most flour is labeled as bread or all purpose.
Hi Deejay/Tex

There is a difference in these flours. The protein content in bread four is around 12.5% and 14+% for high gluten. The difference it makes in the dough/crust is mostly in the texture/chew. Great pizza can be made using the technique I described with really any flour, caputo 00, AP, bread, pastry and so on but IMHO the high gluten makes it best. It's all personal preference, tastes and goals of what pizza you trying to perfect. Me, I crave a NY style light chew with the airy, light, bubbly goodness in the outer crust. Never dry, never hard and never ever given to the dog.

At SAMs and Gordon Foods its plainly labeled " high gluten", I think King Author calls theirs sir Lancelot.I get mine mostly at SAMs club but for some, the large bag can be a problem. I put it in sealed large plastic "old pretzel" containers in my pantry and it keeps fine for months.

Chris
Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 AM
Master Builder

Cool Re: Texman Build

i found this infrared (IR) to RF (radio freq) remote converter to use with the indoor amp. It is really simple to set up and pretty cheap. $38 It uses your existing IR remote and you just replace one of the batteries with the ones provided to make the remote work as RF, from outside. No more running back and forth to change volume, etc. Very nice and it works! My old amp finally got bad enough that i justified a replacement and that gave me the opportunity to add a subwoofer out in the kitchen as well. It is in the cabinet under the window it sounds great out there now.

Also i finally finished the @#^*)% pergola. i think that took longer than the wfo. Also staining the gates to match the pergola. i had 20+ yards of concrete poured a week ago for a back patio that i will be working on next. It has been a complete landscape overhaul since finishing the kitchen and has lasted all summer long and still going. now that concrete is in, i can reassemble the whole mess, i hope.

Beware of what awaits after the outdoor kitchen is done.

Tracy
Attached Thumbnails
Texman Build-img_1673.jpg   Texman Build-img_1678.jpg   Texman Build-img_1675.jpg   Texman Build-img_1677.jpg   Texman Build-img_1676.jpg  

cloita likes this.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: Texman Build

Concrete patio poured. Another wall and an aching back.
Oh well, not getting fat from eating too much pizza yet.

Tex
Attached Thumbnails
Texman Build-img_1655.jpg   Texman Build-img_1664.jpg  

Old 10-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow, that is alot of mud. Really looks nice.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: Texman Build

I have a spot picked out for the 'maters. All this is finally coming together. As long as my back and my bank acct hold up. Maybe a warning to other WFO builders out there: "a WFO could lead to other extensive and expensive projects that could be detrimental to your health and wallet"

It is my fault, I shouldn't blame the defenseless oven.

Texman

Russell - are you shut down for winter already?
Gulf likes this.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Journeyman

Tex,

Boy can I relate to that.... I thought I'd have a few hundred American into my WFO project and now hitting a few thousand after the copper roof accents that I just had to have. Now we are planning next summer to put in a brick patio to surround the WFO with a built in fireplace. I'm budgeting a few hundred for it also.

Your pour looks great, keep up the good work.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 10-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tex,

Still working on deck adjacent to oven. Maters are done for the year but I did harvest another batch of seeds. Oven still in the mix, copper will have to wait until spring. Really nice looking set up you have. The entry doors add a touch of mystic.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Serf

Texman - we are also planning to order 12x12x2.5" firebricks from Larkin for the floor. Building a 36" oven, so slightly smaller than yours. How many of the 12x12's did you order? How many were damaged in shipping (i am in the DFW area)? Do you know about how many of the regular firebricks you used for your dome and vent arch area? If we order them with delivery, want to have a good estimate of how many to order!! I was thinking 200, but I waffle as to whether that is too many, since the floor will be using the 12x12's.

I didn't find the numbers in your build. I have found them in some other builds, but quite a variation in numbers, and sometimes hard to find what size oven is being built!

Thanks a bunch
Texas
Old 02-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Forno Bravo plans break it down between floor and dome, for a 3'x3' dome, you would need 9ea 12x12 floor tiles (floor inside dome).