Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: Texman Build

I found these at our local grocery store and had to try them. I have to admit that i had never heard of these particular maters before i started the wfo and FB. They are greenhouse grown, but still very tasty. My plan is to save some seed and start them next spring and see what all the fuss is about. The garden is in a sad state due to all of the other projects.

I have to find another concrete contractor to finish the landscape project. My other guy was doing it "on the side" but had to go back to his real job as construction super. I have about a 12 yard pour in the back and can finally put it all back together.

I worked all weekend on the pergola mounting the 2x2s to the top. My spacing is the width of a 2x2. Looking good, but i think i 90+ of those at 12 ft each. Using screws and takes forever.

My son started at Texas Tech yesterday.

and i got to take the dog to the vet at 1am for some cosmetic work.

Texman
Attached Thumbnails
Texman Build-img_1609.jpg   Texman Build-img_1600.jpg   Texman Build-img_1593.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Texman Build

Tex,

Gulf and I shared a package of San Marzano seeds this year and both of us are going to save the seeds since they are heirloom and non hybrid maters. I'm sure I will have extra so I'll send you some later this year. Ummm, doggie probably not a happy campers.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Master Builder

Russell

that would be great on the maters. Let me know and i will PM the address and pay the postage.

Texman

Old 09-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Master Builder

Did some cooking yesterday.
Three pies, turned out good. Took a full two hours to clear the dome.
After four hours, the door temp was 750 deg. when i put her to bed.
Then 550 this morning, 12 hours later. Good draw with the "topdown fire"
Too busy cooking pizza to take pics of the pies.

I think that steel door is a big heat sink. I am going to build a LIGHTER one with a wood front. I wanted to have these temp checks to see if i am correct on the heat loss. Still, not bad for heat retention, i think.

Tex
Attached Thumbnails
Texman Build-img_1611.jpg   Texman Build-img_1615.jpg   Texman Build-img_1618.jpg  

Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Master Builder

Hi Tex,

I'll take it that Pooch does't like rump of porcupine, and you definitely don't want him to attempt butt of skunk!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Master Builder

48 hours out and 375 deg F

How does that compare to other builds out there?

Texman
Attached Thumbnails
Texman Build-img_1626.jpg  

Old 09-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Apprentice

tex,
dome is 370 and floor is 342 on mine after 48 hours. we cooked frittata verde for brunch. spinach, cheese, chives, parsley, eggs, s/p and paprika. vegies and eggs all came from our garden...well, the eggs came from our girls. oven has only been cooking for 2 weeks now and hasn't cooled since we fired it up for cooking the first time. my wife is so excited she cooks almost every meal in it. i don't get to use it much. now i know what all the excitement is about with cooking in a wood fired oven!!!!

so glad i found the FB site.
jon
Old 09-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think it is very good.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Master Builder

Sounds good to me. Mine holds about 350 after 48 hours.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 09-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Texman.

Your numbers look great - better than mine. I did do some cooking during the 48 but your number is fantastic. Good job!
texman likes this.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.