Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Texman Build

Quote:
The proof of the tool accuracy is when you start the next course above the previous angled course. If it doesn't line up with the top inner edge of the brick below, the tool is off.
That's correct Tracy. In your case the shortest line to the centre would be the lower edge - so the each succeeding row would tend to overlap the lower one slightly - but as you say wrong grip on the clamp etc can also cause similar effects.
Quote:
I found out what kind of brick layer i am and also that i need to be a better one in places.
Most of us would prefer to not know exactly how bad a bricklayer we are - completed domes hide a multitude of sins
I found the few times I relaid bricks that I had to do them 4 or five times - scraping off the mortar each time before I was happy - so I was not so fussy in the end.
Looks pretty good - how do you find building the arch as you go. It was the first thing I did and I found it useful to have something stable to butt each course up against - but others prefer that method.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amac View Post
Most of us would prefer to not know exactly how bad a bricklayer we are - completed domes hide a multitude of sins
I found the few times I relaid bricks that I had to do them 4 or five times - scraping off the mortar each time before I was happy - so I was not so fussy in the end.
Looks pretty good - how do you find building the arch as you go. It was the first thing I did and I found it useful to have something stable to butt each course up against - but others prefer that method.
Amac
I was thinking that building the arch as i go would allow for tweaks if necessary. Now that i somewhat over the fear of mortar(permanence of mortar), i think i could go ahead and finish arch. It would be good to have something stable to push the first brick against. The inside of my inner arch is not as perfect in the transition to the wall as i would like. I am thinking that i can tweak that with the angle if i deem necessary.

I followed Octoforno and your example (i thought) but am a little off. I have learned this: There is the oven of your vision and the oven you build. One is perfect and the other one is the one you build.
Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Apprentice

Then there's the one you could build after you've finished the first.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Master Builder

Laku
So True!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
There is the oven of your vision and the oven you build. One is perfect and the other one is the one you build.
Then there is the oven of your nightmares - it collapses in a heap of rubble - hope it's not the one I built
Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Master Builder

I have had that nightmare, and the one about burning your house down. All for the cause, good food and good times.
i now have version 3.0 of the IT. I think the third time is the charm, as usual. I moved the clamp position, and added relief straps on top and for brick face. It is as centered in brick as i can do. I decided i like having the clamp mounted to the IT and the screw clamp. Very solid and can clamp with one hand.
I think the next step is build the arch. I am running out of excuses not to.
I mocked it up and if i can set it as good as the mock up, i will be very pleased.
As a friend told me, " it is good enough for who it is for."
tracy
Attached Thumbnails
Texman Build-050112g.jpg   Texman Build-050112i.jpg   Texman Build-050112h.jpg   Texman Build-050112b.jpg   Texman Build-050112a.jpg  

Old 05-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Journeyman

Nice location tracy - you can virtually ignore the vagaries of the weather, and don't have to constantly drag a tarp on and off.
Use the IT while you are building the arch. If you can remove the clamp and rotate the angle around the arch it will be a good guide that it will (should) align with the dome wall. Come to think of it I guess that is what you are doing with that brick in the clamp. Thats an even better idea
Nice work - keep it up
Aidan
Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Master Builder

Cool Re: Texman Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amac View Post
Nice location tracy - you can virtually ignore the vagaries of the weather, and don't have to constantly drag a tarp on and off.
Use the IT while you are building the arch. If you can remove the clamp and rotate the angle around the arch it will be a good guide that it will (should) align with the dome wall. Come to think of it I guess that is what you are doing with that brick in the clamp. Thats an even better idea
Nice work - keep it up
Aidan
I am glad you pointed that out. I had been using the IT to measure the top center of arch and trying to figure out how to measure around the arch. So yes, i was doing it, but didn't know i was. My thick head never thought to SIMPLY tilt the brick
Thanks a million. I knew i had some arch transition problems, but couldn't figure out a good way to mark them. This will work.
you can see my missed cuts where my dome meets the inside of the inner arch. Also, as you asked earlier about not building arch yet. Glad i didn't now. I think i can mark the unset arch bricks and recut them on wetsaw, and correct the arch bricks that are set with the angle grinder.
Tracy
PS Good eyes! I owe you a beer if you ever come to Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
Texman Build-042412d.jpg  

Old 05-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
I owe you a beer if you ever come to Texas.
who knows - its probably unlikely now - but the promise of a texan beer could tempt me.
anyhow glad to be of some assistance - I owe a lot to this forum - time to pay back a bit I guess.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman View Post
I am glad you pointed that out. I had been using the IT to measure the top center of arch and trying to figure out how to measure around the arch. So yes, i was doing it, but didn't know i was. My thick head never thought to SIMPLY tilt the brick
Thanks a million. I knew i had some arch transition problems, but couldn't figure out a good way to mark them. This will work.
you can see my missed cuts where my dome meets the inside of the inner arch. Also, as you asked earlier about not building arch yet. Glad i didn't now. I think i can mark the unset arch bricks and recut them on wetsaw, and correct the arch bricks that are set with the angle grinder.
Tracy
PS Good eyes! I owe you a beer if you ever come to Texas.
I think this is what you were trying to get me to understand?
it looks close, just need to make some minor adjustments i think. the biggest errors in cuts are on the lower part of arch bricks already set. should have known that since i could see it as i set them.
Attached Thumbnails
Texman Build-050312c.jpg   Texman Build-050312e.jpg   Texman Build-050312f.jpg   Texman Build-050312a.jpg   Texman Build-050312d.jpg