Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Texman Build

One more comment on tools for the oven. I highly recommend this f/b peelThe Ultimate Pizza Peel 16" :: Pizza Peels & Oven Tools :: Forno Bravo Store
We (and our rookie guests) make bases on our granite counter in the house and then transfer to these flexible plastic cutting sheets.
Texman Build-2013-04-01-23.57.44.jpg
We then have a station for sauce and another for toppings; then out to the landing next to the oven. The key to minimize frustration and speed at the oven (therefore up to 4 pies in at a time) is LOTS of Semolina. I have the guests apply a liberal amount before placing the bases on the transfer sheets from a shaker can (we post a photo of what a proper amount looks like) and I keep a cookie sheet with semolina next to the oven. The transfer sheets are easily tipped to slide the pie onto the peel and THE HOLES IN THE PEEL allow one to discard excess semolina with a small back and forth shake before placing in the oven (over the cookie sheet). If the peel gets a little sauce on it - a rub in the oven side Semolina dries it out quickly between pies.
We have a dozen or so of the transfer sheets. My wife found a great way to stand them up to dry after washing using the "grass" fingers as in the photo.
texman likes this.

My road to pizza is documented here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Three years? Wow, that went fast

There is always something to learn, or relearn, with these ovens. I'm guessing that the floor might get hotter (in relation to the dome temp) as the moisture finally gets out of every little cranny of your oven.

When I have more than about 100 degrees difference between the dome and floor temps, its usually after a wet couple weeks outside without firing the oven. There are advantages to cooking at the cooler temps, mainly producing less burned flour on the bottom side.

Someone here wrote along time ago how they closed the oven door after heating to 'equalize' the dome/floor temps for 30-45 minutes, shooting for about 100 degrees difference. When I don't do that 'equalizing' I regret it one way or another.

Awesome to see you and your family enjoying your masterpiece!!!
texman likes this.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
takes me about 1.5 hours and 7-8 pieces of wood to get mine hot

On the dough, I sometimes use the dough blade in my food processor, but prefer the "stretch and fold" method.
About the same time and wood for me.

I use the mixer kitchenaid classic 4.5 quart with dough hook to get the initial mix done and then do a few stretch and fold a few times over the 48 hr bulk cold ferment in the fridge.

I have started to try a little less bread flour ... More all purpose to get a less springy dough, the high protein fights back a lot. Great for a NY style but trying of or something with a little more of a cracker crust.

I like the idea of putting the door on to equalize the oven, I will try that on my next cook.

Chip

Last edited by mrchipster; 04-02-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Texman Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
-snip-
I have started to try a little less bread flour ... More all purpose to get a less springy dough, the high protein fights back a lot. -snip-

Chip
My family prefers King Arthur (brand was chosen because its available and texassourdough uses it) all purpose flour because the dough is softer and isn't as tough while chewing. I've been mixing dough a bit longer to improve extensibility, still low on the learning curve. How long are you mixing with your KA?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tracy -
I posted this in another thread too - there is a chapter in The Art of Wood Fired Cooking on oven heat management. I found it super helpful in terms of how to get the oven to pizza (and other cooking) temps. Best thing is, Google Reader has a free online version!

The Art of Wood-Fired Cooking - Andrea Mugnaini - Google Books
texman and dvm like this.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Texman Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Tracy -
I posted this in another thread too - there is a chapter in The Art of Wood Fired Cooking on oven heat management. I found it super helpful in terms of how to get the oven to pizza (and other cooking) temps. Best thing is, Google Reader has a free online version!

The Art of Wood-Fired Cooking - Andrea Mugnaini - Google Books
I have the book, it is excellent! Wish I'd known about the online availability.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
I have the book, it is excellent! Wish I'd known about the online availability.
I have the book too, and think it very good. The only version is only the first couple chapters - but it's a really useful bit.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Laborer

Wow. Great job!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
My family prefers King Arthur (brand was chosen because its available and texassourdough uses it) all purpose flour because the dough is softer and isn't as tough while chewing. I've been mixing dough a bit longer to improve extensibility, still low on the learning curve. How long are you mixing with your KA?
Two minutes to incorporate the water then I let it sit for about 15 minutes, I then add salt and oil and mix for another 2 minutes.

I do a few stretch and folds in bulk over the next 48 hours. And form the balls at about 12 hours before use. Still playing with time and temp not sure if I am doing things right yet but having a lot of fun with dough.

Chip
texman likes this.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: Texman Build

I finally have a Door! Two actually, an insulated and a "smoker door" I haven't taken a pic of the smoker door yet. The insulted is 3/16" steel with fb board insulation. it is HEAVY though. I think it needs a layer of wood to hold more heat because the whole thing heats to oven temp of course. Which brings my question: The combustion temp of Dry oak is 900deg F. So the oven door and temp read about 650 with a cleared dome, so i am thinking that oak will work and especially on the handles. I melted my old oven mitts handling the door last firing.
I also purchased tools from our host got the nifty fireplace tool with blow tube built in.
I actually finally cooked on the actual oven floor, not a cookie sheet since i had real pizza tools. Very cool. burned the bottom of the crust though. Floor was about 760f dome 970f ish. Too hot i guess. Pizza cooked in about 30-40 seconds. I should probably wet mop and cool the floor a little bit. It is so cool to see the dome clear for the first time. Anyway just some rambling of the fun of learning how to use what all the hard work produced.
Tracy
Attached Thumbnails
Texman Build-img_1190.jpg   Texman Build-img_1189.jpg   Texman Build-img_1191.jpg   Texman Build-img_1192.jpg   Texman Build-img_1183.jpg  

Gulf likes this.