Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Texman Build

Russel
bummer on the winter stop. We hit 32 deg the other morning, but will be highs in the 80s this week and dry air to dry all that pcrete. gonna close this baby in soon as i think the crete is dry enough. Probably gonna cheat and get a pro to do my stucco finish, I am ready to be done.

DJ
I used the 3x5, so it is hardibacker i bet on the front. I have one other sheet that i will use on the inside next to the window. I can get the real hardiboard or the permabase for the rest that might get a little wet. I have been working like crazy thinking i can get done with all but the door and fun stuff like that. I have not been cooking at all.
Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Master Builder

Smile Re: Texman Build

Here is the oven with the "stucco" The material is actually quikcrete sand topping mix, not a synthetic stucco. Any problems with that?

It will receive a final coat with color next. I had them do the chimney as well and i think that it will all look good together. I put the concrete board on Friday night. Another "thought it would be easy" and was not. No room to get those sheets in place, but done. So nice to have that stucco layer on. Did not look like fun at all. I had him round the corners instead of square.

I am trying to figure out the landing. I will either have to grind concrete, grind medium firebrick floor tiles or use something else there. My pour is too high for the thickness of the tiles by about 3/8" in places. Oh well, i know how to run a grinder and make a mess.

I actually cooked some chicken and veggies in an enamel dutch oven last nite. So the official first meal from the wfo has been served. Dang good BTW.
Tracy
Attached Thumbnails
Texman Build-101512a.jpg   Texman Build-101512d.jpg   Texman Build-101512e.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DATA_SHEET-Sand-Topping Mix 1103.pdf (162.7 KB, 39 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking good T. I would not use firebrick for the landing. Too fragile, and you don't need it there anyway. I would use concrete or maybe get a piece of stone cut for the space.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tracy,
That looks great to me, and very, very close to the" F" word....... (finished)

Old 10-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tracy,

Absolutely stunning, Now you need to make food worthy of that great outdoor kitchen. Those enamel cast iron dutch ovens are great for all kinds of slow roasted items. We just picked up 4 - 8oz enamel cast iron ramekins with tops from Sam's club and are trying to come up with some recipes to use them with. Anyone have any ideas?

Chip
Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sam's Club!

Thank's Chip,
I haven't thought of them, I bought a covered skillet from Walley World a couple of days before our last hurricane scare. There is one next door to one of the super walleys in a near by town . I will check them out.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Sam's Club!

Thank's Chip,
I haven't thought of them, I bought a covered skillet from Walley World a couple of days before our last hurricane scare. There is one next door to one of the super walleys in a near by town . I will check them out.
The placard on the price poster said One time buy. so your availability may vary. Box of 4 was $20

I just checked and Sam's has them online for purchase. Same price.

The had red, blue and a weird color of green. But then again I am mostly color blind.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Texman Build-img_1601.jpg   Texman Build-img_1603.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 10-15-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Master Builder

Post Re: Texman Build

Thanks for the compliments. Been a long road.
Great deal on the dutch ovens,too. I picked mine up at Sams, too. It is an 8 quart i think for $45. I may get another one just cause they are cool and can stand the wfo.

I no longer have hair on my arms. My wife asked me what is that smell? It was the old man hair singed crispy. Lesson #1.

Still thinking about the landing and thanks to DJ for steering me right. It is either granite/soapstone or concrete, i think. natural stone would be cool and i could do something different there to jazz up the ole gal. I hope i can get it all clean again after my brick dust fever. Also, i told the stucco guy to leave it smooth without a texture.
Tracy

Old 10-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman View Post
Thanks for the compliments.It is either granite/soapstone or concrete, i think. natural stone would be cool and i could do something different there to jazz up the ole gal.
I have a similar geometry Corner build with a rounded threshold. I am working to cut down a piece of Slate from a disassembled pool table it is a little over 1 inch thick and I may use 2 layers of it as my landing.

One will be cut a little larger than the other to create a slight shadow reveal. I thought about soapstone and reconsidered after I discovered it could end up being a big heat wick.

And backed away from granite because of the potential of spalling from the high temp pots and pans. Not sure if this is a real issue or not. I got the slate for free so only my labor invested if it does not work out.

Craigslist is full of slate pool tables that have fallen into disrepair and the owners just want them gone.

Chip
Old 10-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: Texman Build

Chip
i have looked at your landing many times trying to copy. I was thinking at the entry that heat is not a big problem that far away from the oven. I haven't gotten the oven up to full throttle yet, but the with the heat breaks, the vent floor is hardly warm. Great idea on the slate, too. With an 8' table you should have plenty to practice with.
Tracy