Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   temperature measurement (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/temperature-measurement-20315.html)

clinch 01-17-2014 01:54 AM

temperature measurement

Hello Iam close to roofing my oven in and closing in the sides, and was thinking if anyone had a prefered place to put the temperature probe in the oven if you are only using one, which is what Iam planning to do.
recommendations.

Thanks Grant.

Tscarborough 01-17-2014 04:43 AM

Re: temperature measurement

The floor, as it will always be the lowest temp.

clinch 01-20-2014 02:08 AM

Thanks, I will try and get it as low as the floor then, makes sense, thats where I will be cooking.

Grant.

oasiscdm 01-21-2014 09:08 PM

A good man [KD] once told me the only temperature gauge needed is one that reads air temp. A heat gun is fine for Pizza.

Once the oven equalises Air temp is all that is needed as wall, floor air should all be the same within a few degrees.

My firings have followed this pattern burn strong for 2 hours, remove coals, put the door on wait for 90 minutes for oven to equalise at this point only air temp is important.

clinch 01-26-2014 01:21 PM

oasiscdm,

Thanks for the advise, the reason why I was thinking away from a gun type thermostat was that the ones I looked at, all only went up to 400deg cell.

And the other one with a probe went up to 1100 deg cell, but it means a hole in the oven, which I havent planned for all though it is not to late for me to put one in.
They compare in cost.
How hot do these ovens get? and do I need to know the temp over 400deg?

I would prefer to get the gun type, because I can use if for other things.

Grant.

GarnerAC 01-26-2014 01:44 PM

Definitely want to read over 400 degrees.
Here is mine: Infrared

kanoer54 01-26-2014 01:47 PM

Most ovens will reach a temp of around 1000F to clear the dome. I found an IR gun on amzon for just under $30. It works great for the floor and wall temps. That way I know when we can cook other foods which require a lesser temp than pizza.
jon

Toomulla 01-26-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinch (Post 168709)
oasiscdm,

Thanks for the advise, the reason why I was thinking away from a gun type thermostat was that the ones I looked at, all only went up to 400deg cell.

And the other one with a probe went up to 1100 deg cell, but it means a hole in the oven, which I havent planned for all though it is not to late for me to put one in.
They compare in cost.
How hot do these ovens get? and do I need to know the temp over 400deg?

I would prefer to get the gun type, because I can use if for other things.

Grant.

What practical use is a thermometer that reads more then 400 c with regard to a WFO

GarnerAC 01-26-2014 01:58 PM

I think I was talking Fahrenheit and he was talking Celsius. 400c=750f. Im no pro but I would think one would like to know just how "over" he was if he got it too hot.

david s 01-26-2014 03:22 PM

Mine tops out at around 550C and it is a little annoying when I point it at the top of the dome and it won't give a reading because it's too high. I rarely use it now because the thing only reads the surface temperature which is not a good indication unless the oven is saturated and there's no active fire.