Old 01-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Laborer

Default Re: temperature measurement

That is I guess more my point we all have tended to spend of IR thermometers when we start to use our WFOs but quickly learn that a white dome and flour works best for pizza and a bi metal type thermometer reading stable oven temps through the door for $30 works best for roasting and baking so you could probably save the $
Old 01-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

SWMBO bought me an IR gun for last birthday reads to 1200c NOW THATS OVERKILL - isn't she a sweet heart it also has a thermocouple plug so I can use it with Type K thermocouples. A bit pricey I think it was $130AUD reduced from about $180. Very versatile.

I do get the clearing and flour test idea but the toys are much more fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:03 AM
Peasant

Thanks for all the valuable input on my question about temperature reading,

Sorry Iam so late getting back I have been busy on the oven which I have fired now and testing out well.

I have concluded at this stage to just get one of those kitchen oven type shelf mount stainless steel thermometers which read up to 300degc.

It would be the best value for money, they are around 60nzdollar and the IR type are 200nzdollar.

As for the pizza cooking, from what everyone is saying you cant take your eye of them anyway so it dosent matter to much what temperature you are runing as long as it is hot enough to get a base going with out burning the top.

I guess if I sit the stainless steel one on the floor and take it out at 250degc

That should be hot enough to cook a pizza?

Anyway from that point if I put more wood on I know it will be getting hotter!.

The more accurate readings would be for the roasting and breads I would have thought.

I have built the whole dome out of fire brick refractory cement, and fire clay, sand mix, and broken fire brick of cuts crushed in to aggregate.

So I dont think I will have a problem if it gets to hot.

grant.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
SWMBO bought me an IR gun for last birthday reads to 1200c NOW THATS OVERKILL - isn't she a sweet heart it also has a thermocouple plug so I can use it with Type K thermocouples. A bit pricey I think it was $130AUD reduced from about $180. Very versatile.

I do get the clearing and flour test idea but the toys are much more fun.
Colin,
Have you used your IR gun to measure the temp of your thick stainless pipe and the refractory surrounding it? I'd be interested in seeing the results. Sounds like your oven is working well.

Dave
Old 02-07-2014, 07:13 AM
Journeyman

You can't use an IR gun to measure the temperature of a low emissivity (shiny surfaces generally are) material like stainless steel.

One trick you can use is to spread some soot onto the stainless surface and then measure the temperature of that. Then wipe it off afterwards of course if you want the shinyness back!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinch View Post
Thanks for all the valuable input on my question about temperature reading,

Sorry Iam so late getting back I have been busy on the oven which I have fired now and testing out well.

I have concluded at this stage to just get one of those kitchen oven type shelf mount stainless steel thermometers which read up to 300degc.

It would be the best value for money, they are around 60nzdollar and the IR type are 200nzdollar.

As for the pizza cooking, from what everyone is saying you cant take your eye of them anyway so it dosent matter to much what temperature you are runing as long as it is hot enough to get a base going with out burning the top.

I guess if I sit the stainless steel one on the floor and take it out at 250degc

That should be hot enough to cook a pizza?

Anyway from that point if I put more wood on I know it will be getting hotter!.

The more accurate readings would be for the roasting and breads I would have thought.

I have built the whole dome out of fire brick refractory cement, and fire clay, sand mix, and broken fire brick of cuts crushed in to aggregate.

So I dont think I will have a problem if it gets to hot.

grant.

G'day Grant
Recon Toomulla comments above are spot on.
250C is a bit low for pizza 400C to 500C is more like it. To get the white dome with all the soot burnt off you need about an hour and halves to 2 hours of fire. The dome will lose it soot and a pinch of flour thrown on the floor count one thousand 2 thousand and it will be turning brown. Perfect. Your pizza will cook between 90 sec and 4 mins. Bottom cooks faster than the toppings?pick the pizza up on your peel and hold it closer to the roof that will brown things off real fast.
A bi metal mounted in the door gives you a reading without removing the door. I've brought 2 now with 100mm probe of the net for $25 be warned that don't last forever.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 02-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Dropped in at the hospitality supplies shop after work Sat. No pizza oven thermometers , but I did find this. It's a candy/ deal fat fryer thermometer and reads from 100c to 400c and has a 100 mm probe. More than suficient to fit into an insulated door for a WFO for that cooking without the fire

temperature measurement-image.jpg

Regards dave

My Build

My Door