Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!

-You could use a grout bag and just push it in. If it falls out it falls out, but it might stay and fill any needed voids.
-How did you do the flew by the way. Did you cut a rectangular section at an angle, flip it and then put it back together?

Mike
Old 05-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Laborer

Talking Re: Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!

Mike D,

I thought of using the grout bag, but was not sure the home brew would squeeze through it. Have you done that type of thing? Do masonary supply stores sell these critters?

I took a few pictures and posted them at the beginning of my thread on cutting the flue. I got the idea from another thread which I cannot find at the moment. I used two 8" square clay flu tiles in order to get the 14" base for greater draw. But the guy whose thread I saw this on was using a 16"x8"x24"tile and was thereby able to do with one tile what took me two. I fortunately had a few tiles and I made drain spouts out of the tile that was left over.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapir Force View Post
Do masonary supply stores sell these critters?
A sturdy plastic bag with the corner cut off would do the job, its all about the DIY....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Journeyman

Yes a grout bag would be at any stone yard and HD. It's like frosting a cake, but brickie is right, any plastic bag (thick one or doubled up) with the tip off will work. The bigger the hole the more grout will come out when you squeeze it.

Mike
Old 05-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Laborer

Unhappy Re: Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!

Not much work gets done on a pizza oven when in mid-May, the temperature does not get above freezing. There will be plenty of hot days coming, but this is a bit much. Pretty as it is, May is supposed to be spring. This is winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!-imgp1051.jpg   Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!-imgp1052.jpg   Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!-imgp1053.jpg   Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!-imgp1054.jpg  
Old 05-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Laborer

Work resumes! I have had an electric heater sitting on low inside the dome for ten days. It stays around 94 Degrees F. I am beginning the process of insulating and finishing out. As I stated earlier, I am going to make an enclosure and encase the entire oven in vermiculite. That said, I also have a 25' x 2' roll of 1" thick refractory insulation blanket that I will be wrapping the dome in before putting in the vermiculite. Any tips?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Laborer

I have framed in the enclosure around the dome. Included are a few pictures. I will finish the fill with vermiculite in the morning. Found a guy willing to sell me 6.5 / 4 cubic foot bags of vermiculite for $110. It has gone over $30 per bag in the nursery supply houses.

The ceramic blanket went in very easily. Wearing the respirator was the biggest hassle.
Attached Thumbnails
Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!-imgp1154.jpg   Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!-imgp1155.jpg   Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!-imgp1156.jpg   Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!-imgp1157.jpg  
Old 05-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great. Your chimney went in nice and you've got the insulation blanket on. I don't think there is anything special to do to it than what you've done. It's heavy enough so it lays fine. The vermiculite is a great insulation addition.

Regarding the small voids you want to fill: Can you just make up more high-heat mortar and sponge it in, then clean the brick and let the mortar fill in the spaces? If it will be too 'fussy' I'd avoid doing it at all. I don't think it's important with all the mortar behind the brick, the insulation blanket and the vermiculite you have.

I've been cooking in my oven since friday and will heat it up again tomorrow for a small dinner party with beer-can chicken (since it was still 300 degrees yesterday). You're going to really enjoy having all the insulation where you can keep cooking for days with just a little additional wood.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Journeyman

Tapir Force, nice work. That is some serious progress. I was looking at your flue, How did you do it. What size pipe did you cut? How tall is it?

Is that enough questions, sorry. But I am ready to do my vent.

Mike
Old 05-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Laborer

Finally got the last of my vermiculite poured into the oven enclosure. These pictures, while not very exciting, are a benchmark for me. The rest of the work falls into the category of cosmetics. A good feeling.

Mike, the flue tiles I used were standard 8x8x24 chimney pieces. I split two of the tiles so that I could get to the 13.5" width I had in my entrance opening. It decreases to 8x8 at the top of the pictured flue. I uploaded pictures in the earlier parts of this thread.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!-imgp1160.jpg   Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!-imgp1161.jpg