Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: To taper or not to taper?

No bother Cholme ask away. True but I did not taper the 4.5 in side. I allowed mortar to fill in the gaps on the outside of the oven. I don't remember where but I did need to cut from both sides at times. Perhaps that was in my floor because my bricks are standing on edge and cut to fit inside the dome.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Laborer

Ok... so here is what I am trying to figure out... other then the "workmanship" aspect of tapering the dome; is there a great advantage to tapering? Or conversely, is there a big DIS-advantage to NOT tapering. Would I be better served tapering only the sides and not worrying about the large side? I want to get a working oven, and don't want to spend all summer doing it. I want an oven that will last so if not tapering will be detrimental, in the long run, to the functionality or longevity, I don't want to cut corners.

I am NOT retired, but I am at a lull with work right now so I have a bit of time to devote... but again I can't spend weeks and weeks on the dome.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

cholme,

There is no structural disadvantage to not tapering, just large outwside gaps and the cost of filling them in. In fact most ovens do not employ tapered bricks. However, a great many ovens have beveled bricks which minimize the vertical joints and eliminate the large inverted V joint, which is an advantage.

The biggest benefit to not tapering is the savings in time (and diamond blades), which is right up your alley.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Laborer

AWESOME!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I think I will go with plan "C" (or d or something) which is to bevel the sides and leave them flat. This seems like a good compromise.

If I had the time, I would love to fit each brick, but I don't have the patience for that... and neither does my wife .

I am going to start a thread with my oven so I will post some pics as I make progress. I welcome any input and critique.

Chris
Sherman Oaks, CA
Old 06-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just budget the time to avoid having vertical joints line up by staggering them.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Journeyman

I cant speak for Faith, but most of us that tapered bricks only did the cuts on the short side of the brick. I used a similar method to Faith, as taught to me by Greg Geisen,( Greg's Pompeii 42"-San Diego) so you get angle and pitch with one cut. I ended up using the door shim method, you can add more shims as the angles change further up in the dome.
IMHO I think tapering the bricks is worth it. See tile 36 in the link below.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/gr...go-6169-2.html (Greg's Pompeii 42" - San Diego)

Eric
Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Master Builder

Yes, that is the same thing I did Eric. I did not mind if the exterior had mortar joints so I also only cut the sides. Personally I would have chewed up a lot more bricks if I tapered the tops and bottoms as well.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The guy whose tapers I like are SCChris'. There are no extra cuts and are therefore economical. The outside of the brick is left untouched and remains consistent per course.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...uild-7035.html (SC Chris's 42" WFO build)
Attached Thumbnails
To taper or not to taper?-scchris-tapers.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"There is no structural disadvantage to not tapering, just large outwside gaps and the cost of filling them in. "

Exactly. Taper them a bit but there is no need to go overboard with an exact fit. Try to keep the inside joints small. If you have larger outside joints, fill them with mortar and bits of brick left over from the cutting process
Old 06-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I tapered and beveled the 2 sides, virtually eliminating mortar between sides and eliminated that inverted v . It took me a full weekend about 3-4 hrs a day during the week to get my dome up. I'd guess about 35 hrs, plus another full day on the inner and outer arches.

RT