Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Peasant

Default Re: To taper or not to taper?

I don't know, seems a bit obsessive to me. According to all the threads I've read, even the ovens that have cracked mortar seem to be completely operational and in no danger of falling in. For me the oven is a means to an end, I'd rather obsess over dough and sauce and cooking techniques.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Attached are 2 images of model I am building in Google sketch-up. In the model I have tapered the first 3 chains and then chain 4 and up are all made with the brick tapered for the 3rd chain. as you can see the gaps get significantly wider both inside and outside as you go up and the angle between the bricks side to side becomes much more pie shaped.

The higher rings should use much narrower bricks as you go up to help with the top and bottom gaps that develop because of the smaller chord tangent points due to the smaller radius. Some of the bricks are not ideally placed and done freehand but the concept is clear.

First image is outside the dome and second is inside view.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
To taper or not to taper?-dome_sketch1.jpg   To taper or not to taper?-dome_sketch2.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 06-20-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Links did not originaly appear
Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Peasant

I tapered mine. I cut them on a table saw, about a 5 degree angle horizontally & vertically (inside to outside). As I got to the top, I also angled each brick so the face was trapezoidal (portion closer to the top of the oven smaller than the dimension on the bottom). With the table saw, this was easy to do.

Each full brick took five cuts to make two tapered trapezoidal half bricks. The cutting went fast once I got the hang of it and saved a lot of time mortaring. I won't say I got perfect fits, but they went together pretty well.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Master Builder

lwood. I cut those bricks myself. So they started out as a standard brick.

If you noticed the interior section of the brick is narrower and the exterior wider. So in a sense each ring of brick is like an arch and every brick a keystone. So even without mortar the bricks can't move. Every ring is slightly different so you would need to make adjustments as you go up.

Thanks Faith
Old 06-21-2011, 04:56 AM
Master Builder

That's amazing Faith, wish I had the patience to do that. Maybe on oven #2. Is it necessary, maybe not, but it sure is a work of art when completed.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Laborer

Faith... very impressive indeed! What did you cut them with? I have a lot of wood tools, table saws, chopsaws etc. but I was leaning toward renting a wet saw. Is that the right move? or should I just get a dry cut blade for a chopsaw or something?

I appreciate all the input on this topic. I am leaning toward tapering, but still on the fence a bit. I want to do it right, but I also worry about it taking too long.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Peasant

I think a wet saw is the way to go. The dust generated with a dry blade is hard on you and your equipment. I have a diamond blade for my power saw that I use for cutting limestone slabs and the bearings in the saw are shot. I try to spray on water as I go but that only works so well. At a minimum you would need to wear a respirator or dust mask. I also think the dry blades won't last as long. I went through 2 blades on my wet saw building a 42" Pompeii. The blades I used were Felker TurboRim masonry blades. They are a little aggressive but seemed to last longer than the thin rimmed tile blade I started with.
I would look for a 10" wet saw. I bought an MK paver saw off of Craigslist for $350 and it worked well. Also, a lot of people on here have had good luck with the Harbor Freight wet saws.
Either way I would definitely recommend tapering the bricks, I think the smaller gaps look better and there will be less mortar to fall out during use.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
To taper or not to taper?-100_5116.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My oven build pictures:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow, Faith! I had never seen the interior of your oven. It is a work of craftsmanship and patience. Very impressive!

John
Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Master Builder

Thanks for all the nice comments. I just used a 10 inch wet saw. I used the angle guide and a small piece of brick to make those cuts. My small pieces of brick looked like a stick of gum but I had various thickness pieces. So I set my angle and placed my brick piece on the deck in front of the angle guide and set my brick to be cut on top of my lift brick piece. So between the two I got angle and pitch in one cut.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Laborer

Faith, Not to keep bothering you for details, but can't a 10" saw only cut through about 3"? How did you cut a taper on long side (the 4.5" side)? Don't you have to taper the large flat side in addition to the sides?