Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Super Duty Firebricks, good or bad?

Ya that is also true, what would be a good size blade to buy
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I can only speak from my own experience with the HF 10" wet saw. Keep the blade wet and don't force the cuts. If at any point it seems that you are not getting the same amount of water on the blade; empty the solids from the pan, clean the filter, and rod out the jets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Master Builder

Thanks, im pretty familiar with the wet saw, ive used it many times but thank you, ive looked at blades and the price difference between 10 in and 9 in is pretty big. Ill have to see what works better. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I can only speak from my own experience with the HF 10" wet saw. Keep the blade wet and don't force the cuts. If at any point it seems that you are not getting the same amount of water on the blade; empty the solids from the pan, clean the filter, and rod out the jets.
I rigged my saw with a fresh water supply from the hose and let the mud drop into a bucket most of the water coming off the top of the bucket was quite clean and I never had to clean a filter or plugged lines again. I am sure it was a waste of some water but I had an in line ball valve that I could turn on and off as needed and it sure made the water supply more consistent, I was finding the lines would plug up quite often before I went to a clean water supply direct from the house via a garden hose. This may be a problem in other areas where water is in short supply but here on the mighty Mississippi and "Land of 10,000 lakes" -- but the official count of lakes more than ten acres (40,000 m) in size is approximately 11,842. water is cheap and plentiful.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Super Duty Firebricks, good or bad?-img_0374.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 01-15-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
I rigged my saw with a fresh water supply from the hose and let the mud drop into a bucket most of the water coming off the top of the bucket was quite clean and I never had to clean a filter or plugged lines again. I am sure it was a waste of some water but I had an in line ball valve that I could turn on and off as needed and it sure made the water supply more consistent, I was finding the lines would plug up quite often before I went to a clean water supply direct from the house via a garden hose. This may be a problem in other areas where water is in short supply but here on the mighty Mississippi and "Land of 10,000 lakes" -- but the official count of lakes more than ten acres (40,000 m) in size is approximately 11,842. water is cheap and plentiful.

Chip
I did the same thing. My problem was not so much the lines as the pump. It kept clogging up and stopped pumping. So I stuck my pump in a clean bucket and just kept the bucket full.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
Well I have 4.5 of brick and 3 of cast refractory for a total of 7.5 of thermal mass. Then I have 4" of ceramic insulation

I have 6 thermocouples so that I know inner mid and outer oven temps.

My new ovens will have 12" of thermal mass for multiple loads of bread. For bread you need big thermal mass. When I load 12 -1.5 lb loaves of bread in the oven the dough has more then a gallon of water in it and that is a big draw on the stored energy.
Faith, if you don't mind my asking, what baking chamber dimensions are you planning for on you next oven? Are you planning on 12" of mass for both hearth and arch?

Just being nosy, I am contemplating building a larger oven as well.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Master Builder

Ball park # 54" wide and thinking 72" deep. 12" in floor and arch. Last year I got a great deal on brick so I now have about 7 pallets of firebrick. So I have enough brick for many ovens.

I need to get done with my current contract (Sucking the life out of my time) before I can start my new oven.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Master Builder

Hi Faith,

7 pallets? Is that a deal or a disaster? "Darn, I have all of these Damn Bricks, I got to build something"!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
Ball park # 54" wide and thinking 72" deep. 12" in floor and arch. Last year I got a great deal on brick so I now have about 7 pallets of firebrick. So I have enough brick for many ovens.

I need to get done with my current contract (Sucking the life out of my time) before I can start my new oven.
Thanks for the response. I'm toying with the idea of building a new oven that would be twice the width and length of my current one. That would make the hearth 64" wide by 76" deep, but I was as of yet undecided about the mass.

Great that you got a good deal on firebrick. The best I think I coud do is about a buck apiece here. Still not too bad though.

My day job takes a big swath out of the middle of my day as well
Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post

Chip
Chip,
That is excellent advice!
Actually, by the time that I was finished with most of my firebrick, I had switched to a bucket of clean water and a garden hose. I mentioned on (Which Harbor freight Saw)this thread that If I had it to do over from the start that I would attach a fitting to the bottom of my bucket and insert a cheap comode float to conserve water. I have already forgotten some of my lessons learned) .
That is where age sometimes factors in to the equaition .