Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Stuck at chimney. Need pictures and instruction.

Okay, I am just going to say it outright: I hate the chimney! I'd build another dome in a heartbeat, but deliver me from this chimney!

I have worked around it until it is nearly the last thing I have left to do. So I finally jumped in and just started bricking it...It has been a jig-saw puzzle to cut! (See my new pictures here, this arch tapers out from my base in order to get enough clearance for a thermal break against the flue - nearly killed me!) Still working it out obviously...

I'm planning on 3-inches of ceramic blanket, 10:1 vermicrete mix over that and then stucco and handmade tile (made those at our local ceramics center, vines and leaves to embed in the stucco - fired to vitreous.) Where the stucco/vermicrete meet the brick chimney, should I use any special sealant?

I'm concerned with the extremes in our freeze and thaw cycle here (really harsh in this section of Iowa) and if the best choice is Stuc-O-Flex Elastomeric Acrylic finish, has anyone have experience with this product? Recommendations in another direction?
Attached Thumbnails
Stuck at chimney. Need pictures and instruction.-pizzaoven.jpg   Stuck at chimney. Need pictures and instruction.-archout.jpg   Stuck at chimney. Need pictures and instruction.-archface.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Peasant

if it's bothering you that much, don't have a chimney! In my experience it's not really necessary, as long as you don't mind a bit of smoke in your eyes....
Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Apprentice

So excited, I finished the chimney! I am very pleased with the proportions, it was not my favorite part of this build to be sure, but I jumped in and just pushed on to get it done. It does have a very impressive result however!

No insulation in there, and it will need a cap of some sort, but I've just got a final layer of stucco to go! Once I got the first two layers of stucco around the backside I could see how it sealed it all up, I'm no longer too concerned with our weather. Hooray!
Attached Thumbnails
Stuck at chimney. Need pictures and instruction.-photo-39-.jpg   Stuck at chimney. Need pictures and instruction.-photo-38-.jpg  
Old 09-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That looks fantastic - impressive work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Les! I did that weird brick work to hide my less than perfect masonry skill, and I think it worked well! I knew I couldn't pull off perfect, but equally uneven and unlevel I can handle!