Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Stuck at chimney. Need pictures and instruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xene View Post

What do you think? Maybe I should add another layer of bricks laid opposite the first set of mortar joints to make it more solid?
It looks good to me Xene,
It is in line with what I have see on many builds. It will probably hold up a mac truck . I'm not sure what you meant by your statement above, but I am a little radicle in my thinking about transfering weight. If you mean adding another layer to your arch outside of your arch. My answer is no.
One of my plans that I had for my oven was for a traditonal style vent arch but, with a brick lined chimney as I have. It would have been a much smaller transition than I have now but, (IMO) would have helped transfer the weight of a large chimney around the arch and down to the hearth.

It adds as much to buttressing as it adds to transferring the weght downward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Augh, I've made the draw opposite what it should be haven't I? I'm really making a good impression. I'm not a space cadet - I just don't have my heart in it like I should.
At first I thought you did but mine is constructed the same way. The brick is just following the arc. You should be fine.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Xene, You're doing fine.. I'm glad you caught the draw issue before you got further. I'm thinking that the throat needs a bigger opening to avoid too much smoking. I think there is some math around here somewhere maybe a PM to Tscarborough can validate the vent size..

Chris

PS thanks Les
Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It looks great. In the red areas, grind them to eliminate the square corners, just round those areas off lightly.
Attached Thumbnails
Stuck at chimney. Need pictures and instruction.-photo-29-revised.jpg  
Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Apprentice

Oh what a relief! Thanks guys, I honestly couldn't build this thing without your help (that seems pretty obvious I imagine!) Okay, grinding I can do!

<huge sigh of relief>
Old 06-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
If you mean adding another layer to your arch outside of your arch. My answer is no.
One of my plans that I had for my oven was for a traditonal style vent arch but, with a brick lined chimney as I have. It would have been a much smaller transition than I have now but, (IMO) would have helped transfer the weight of a large chimney around the arch and down to the hearth.

It adds as much to buttressing as it adds to transferring the weght downward.
Thanks Gulf! I do have something like this in mind since I'm now using a clay flue, honestly I really should do a LITTLE planning! This flying by the seat my pants is wearing me out! Your picture is very similar to what I have in mind...hopefully I can squeeze out enough room on my already too short hearth to get that all on there.

I was referring to the platform where the flue will sit, the bricks are cut 1 inch thick x 2 1/2 wide there, except the front, they will have to be 1 1/2 inch wide since I don't have the space off the front to make the entry any longer and still get my facing bricks on (augh..planning...and measuring!) I was worried that platform might not be strong enough if I didn't reinforce it with another row of thin brick, but it sounds like it will be pretty sturdy as is.

I got my new blade, so I can work this out tomorrow. I may have a chimney soon! Ahh...the finish work should be much easier and less stressful!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Ahh...the finish work should be much easier and less stressful!
You have been punched all the way to optimism. I admire your determination. You really are doing a fantastic job!

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Journeyman

Xene
Quote:
I was referring to the platform where the flue will sit, the bricks are cut 1 inch thick x 2 1/2 wide there, except the front, they will have to be 1 1/2 inch wide since I don't have the space off the front to make the entry any longer and still get my facing bricks on (augh..planning...and measuring!) I was worried that platform might not be strong enough if I didn't reinforce it with another row of thin brick, but it sounds like it will be pretty sturdy as is.
There is a character in Southpark called Captain Hindisght (a "superhero") and when people call him after a catastrophe he tells them not how to correct it but what they should've done in the first place. I feel a bit like Captain hindsight making this point, but you have narrow bricks at the front and also narrow cuts at the back of the vent. To me the ones at the back serve no useful purpose and will just inhibit the flow of chimney gases. If it isn't too late I would double the width of the bricks at the front and take away those at the back. You could still use the dome entry arch as flue support at the back. I am sure it will work OK though so I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I would be reluctant to include decorative brick and the firebrick together as a flue support. The decorative brick could get very hot unless there was some separation using rope or silcone or both especially at the top of the arch.

God Bless You Captain Hindsight!! (Season 14, Episode 11) - Video Clips - South Park Studios

Last edited by Amac; 07-01-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Apprentice

I think they have a purpose of stabilizing the vent chamber. Without them I think the vent arch would have space to move towards the the vent entry.
Without them, if the mortar would ever fail, there would be nothing supporting the bricks from moving to that empty space and possibly collapsing the whole vent.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laku View Post
I think they have a purpose of stabilizing the vent chamber. Without them I think the vent arch would have space to move towards the the vent entry.
Without them, if the mortar would ever fail, there would be nothing supporting the bricks from moving to that empty space and possibly collapsing the whole vent.
I don't know laku - while you are building it yes I agree - but once the vent is completed there should be support from the higher bricks in the vent pushing outwards. (I hope so anyway since that is how I built my vent )