Old 03-10-2011, 06:18 AM
Serf

Default Re: Stefanno Ferara Napoli Oven Constuction

I guess the owner didn't see how it was built if it came prefab. I should show him the slideshow and ask him if he wants it built the same, could save a lot of time on site as its away from home! I didn't use any formwork so the joints had to be tight to ensure stability. The Ferrara oven also had a refractory concrete hearth which is ok, but for the money I would want a firebrick or tile hearth.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Apprentice

here's another set of pictures of Stefano on another build:

Stefano Ferrara Building Neapolitan Pizza Oven
Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Serf

^ Interesting, that thing isn't leaving without a jackhammer and sledge.

Anybody know what that worn, porous, almost mossy looking brick is that he seems to use for insulation. Seems the layer directly beneath the floor is just porous brick with air-gaps, explains why he use the large refractory floor tiles since he isn't working with a flat/solid sub-surface.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by das View Post
^ Interesting, that thing isn't leaving without a jackhammer and sledge.

Anybody know what that worn, porous, almost mossy looking brick is that he seems to use for insulation. Seems the layer directly beneath the floor is just porous brick with air-gaps, explains why he use the large refractory floor tiles since he isn't working with a flat/solid sub-surface.
It's Tuff stone - or "tufa" as it's sometimes called (at least here in the western US). Lots of buildings in italy are made of tuff stone - because you can carve it easily. Interesting . . .
Old 04-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I hope you boys dont cut your bricks as 3 fingered Lello does here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:35 PM

I bet if the frame was a little bigger you'd see that he wasn't wearing a respirator (or safety glasses) either. I sometimes get the creeps watching construction pros.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I wasn't impressed when I saw it the first time. He has a name, but his technique and design are nothing special, merely adequate for the task. Individuals spend way too much time and money over thinking the technical specifications required for an oven appliance. Not the fenestration, the actual working part o the oven

And that is fine, many people build them for themselves as a work of art, and I can appreciate that in and of itself. My irritation comes in to play when an oven "artist" like this gentleman charges what he charges for what any hack 2nd year masonry apprentice could build in a weekend for 500 bucks.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here he is as a child.
Attached Thumbnails
Stefanno Ferara Napoli Oven Constuction-untitled.jpg  

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
My irritation comes in to play when an oven "artist" like this gentleman charges what he charges for what any hack 2nd year masonry apprentice could build in a weekend for 500bucks
So true. I can think of a few 'name' fine-art photographers who charge insane amounts of money for laughable work yet are fawned over by wealthy bandwagon-riding patrons who simply have more money than brains or vision.

But with so much money to be made, my guess is that Mr. Ferrara doesn't have the time to test, develop and improve oven design/materials (read: hone his craft) other than faster and cheaper. It is commendable that so many FB builders continuously push the envelope on so many WFO elements and contribute to the evolution of the discipline.

And thanks, Les. I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
My irritation comes in to play when an oven "artist" like this gentleman charges what he charges for what any hack 2nd year masonry apprentice could build in a weekend for 500 bucks.
I absolutely agree.
My family runs a hair salon business and I see these kinds of things all the time. Anyone with a 'name' can charge $200 for the exact same haircuts we charge $25, sans attitude.

If there were just a small handful of people in the world able to build ovens like those then they should be able to command premium prices, but that clearly isn't the case when it comes to wfo's.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Last edited by fxpose; 04-23-2011 at 10:25 AM.