Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Starting my WFO in N. Carolina

Thanks. Yeah, I'll post them on my thread, it's been a long time since anything was posted on there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Journeyman

I do like the idea, it's just not what I need on my own oven. I'd love to see some pictures if you have any though, Gulf. This is all a learning experience for me and it'd be great to see what you've done. I have a good feeling that I'm going to be building another oven, for my neighbor. After mine is done, of course. He comes by alot wanting to see what's going on, etc. I do believe he's caught the WFO Fever. Your drawer idea may be something he'd want.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 03-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Journeyman

Stonecutter......if you ever get up this way, I can hook you up w/some good apple, wild black cherry or hickory wood, if you're interested.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I just may take you up on that. Our relocation possibilitys just expanded eastward

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Journeyman

Just let me know if and when you're in the area and have room for a bit of wood. I love it all, but for me, nothing compares to the apple wood for cooking/smoking. I've obviously never had the pleasure to cook w/it yet in a WFO, but am really, really looking forward to it.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Apple burns hot and is great for the oven and I had all I wanted up north. Not now....

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-30-2014, 05:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATK406 View Post
........Another alternative is to build a sliding drawer or cabinet that can be pulled out to access the contents stored under the oven. There are several recent builders that have done this too (e.g. rsandler and Gulf - off the top of my head). If the drawer would be cantilevered above the ground when it is pulled out, it would require some additional thought (engineering) to make it work. Food for thought..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Sorry NCMan, I know you are not in the market for an under oven drawer.

AT,
I may have not stessed the point very well in my thread. But, there is currently about a five inch drop in front of my oven. There will still be at least a two and a half inch drop when the flooring is finished. I solved that problem, for me at least, with stock garage door tracking and hardware. My drawer pulls out easily to over 2/3rd's of the way .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMan View Post
I do like the idea, it's just not what I need on my own oven. I'd love to see some pictures if you have any though, Gulf. This is all a learning experience for me and it'd be great to see what you've done. I have a good feeling that I'm going to be building another oven, for my neighbor. After mine is done, of course. He comes by alot wanting to see what's going on, etc. I do believe he's caught the WFO Fever. Your drawer idea may be something he'd want.
Here are some pics I took of the drawer and the garage door hardware. To handle the weight of the drawer when it is pulled out, I anchored the track anchor screws in concrete. There are five pairs of rollers attached to the bottom of the drawer. Every thing is really easy to get to.

Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-storage-001.jpg Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-drawer6-002.jpg

Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-gloves-002.jpg Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-drawer-010.jpg

Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-drawer-008.jpg Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-drawer-011.jpg
Novaslo and NCMan like this.

Last edited by Gulf; 03-30-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:39 AM
Journeyman

Very impressive. I like it. Thanks for sharing. Pics are great to explain it all. Now I understand pretty clearly what you did. Very cool.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Journeyman

I have gotten most of my block foundation done. Since we are not using the space under the hearth slab, it was easier (for me) to just block it up. Putting the solid cap on worked out nice, since it's the right elevation we need and it's all solid under the next slab now. Next I plan to pour a 4" concrete hearth slab, using a 3/8" rebar grid, approx. 1' on center. Then 4" of vermiculite. I'll post more photos when I get the formwork up.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-003.jpg   Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-004.jpg   Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-005.jpg   Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-006.jpg  

Old 04-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Journeyman

I should add that my plans are to pour the hearth slab only to where the cap block currently end in the front. In other words, wherever you see solid cap block, that is where I plan to pour the first slab. From the back to front, it is approx. 55". Plans are for a 4" hollow block enclosure for a 36" oven and 3" (or a bit more) for insulation. Hopefully, I can have the oven arch right at the edge of this slab. Then, pour another slab later for the vent/landing, but at a higher elevation, even w/the oven floor. Anyone see any issues w/my plans? Love to hear some opinions from a few of you experienced builders, since this is my first oven. Do my dimensions seem right?

Tags
heat break, north carolina, rustic