Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Starting my WFO in N. Carolina

Had a bit of time and some decent weather, so I began prepping for my slab. Hope to get it done soon and poured. I will post more photos when I get it all ready.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-slabprep3.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 03-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Apprentice

Looking good. Excited to see your project move along with the nice weather.

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
Old 03-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Journeyman

Thanks. I am looking forward to getting back to it. Hope to have it poured real soon. I'm having the concrete delivered in a mixer. Way too much to do by hand. I'll need a yard and a half. Then it's on to the block work.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 03-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Journeyman

Did some more prep work today w/the slab. Just have to cut a few pieces of rebar, tie them up and add a few braces to the formwork and I'm ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-slabprep4.jpg  

Old 03-19-2014, 11:58 PM
Apprentice

A yard and a half... Sweet! I used just over 4 yards on my pads.

My Build -

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
Old 03-20-2014, 06:37 AM
Journeyman

I can see where you would. You have alot more area to cover. If I could have made my pad on flat ground, I may have gotten away w/a yard or a bit more. Either way, there is no way I'd mix all that by hand or even w/a mixer on site. The mix I will get on a truck will be superior to anything that could be mixed on site. Plus, when I'm done, no mess. I'm using what we usually refer to as "pump mix", which is what they use when concrete is pumped. The reason I use that is because, for one, it's a better mix. Secondly, it works much better for the coloring and impressions I will be making. Kind of like what is commonly called stamped concrete. It costs a bit more, but it's a good strong mix and more user friendly when doing that type of work.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Journeyman

Got the rebar all cut and tied. Prep work is done. Plan to pour tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-slabprep6.jpg  

Old 03-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Journeyman

Poured the base slab and a small pad by my steps yesterday. Used the colored and imprinted concrete method. Only a small bit of it will be seen on the base slab, that's why only a small bit of it is done. It will only be seen at the entrance to the "wood storage area" and the rest is covered up by block work,etc. The front face will be made to look like the top, after I strip the forms. This is not the finished look, but close enough to give an idea of what it will look like later. I had my neighbor stop by and he wanted to play around with making the "joints" in the slab. Since most of it will be hidden, I let him play around w/it. Next step is to strip the forms in a day or so and do the front vertical area to make it match the top. After that's all done, I start w/the block foundation. I'll take photos when I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-023.jpg   Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-031.jpg  
Gulf likes this.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great!,
Starting out with so much detail, there is no doubt the finished product will be inspiring .

Old 03-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Journeyman

Thanks. I think it will look nice when it's all done. Your build was (and still is) one of a few that I regularly go back and review. Very nice work!!

Tags
north carolina