Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 05:44 AM
Serf

Default Re: Starting my WFO in N. Carolina

It's coming along nicely NCMan! I see others builders covering the dome, like you have in the picture. Is that home brew mortar or something else? How thick?
Great Job!
Ray
Old 07-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by checker1965 View Post
It's coming along nicely NCMan! I see others builders covering the dome, like you have in the picture. Is that home brew mortar or something else? How thick?
Great Job!
Ray
It's home brew mortar. As I set each brick, after tapping the back of it down, I take the excess and smooth it out on the dome, all the while holding on to the brick I just set with my other hand. I find that the more mortar spread over the brick, the better it seems to hold and set. That's just my way of doing it. I would guess everyone has their own way. That's mine. There is usually around a quarter to three eighths of an inch or so on there when I'm done. Just enough to smooth it out, cover the bricks and maintain the rounded shape. Thanks for the compliments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 07-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I parge as I go too....
NCMan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I parge as I go too....
I noticed that. Guess who I learned it from?

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 AM
Journeyman

Just a few more progress pics. I have completed course number nine. Weather and time permitting, I plan to work on it some more this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-ovendome6.jpg   Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-ovendome7.jpg   Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-ovendome8.jpg  

Old 07-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Journeyman

I managed to squeeze in some time Friday afternoon to do some more dome building. Here's the latest photos. I'm getting close!!
Attached Thumbnails
Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-ovendome9.jpg   Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-ovendome10.jpg   Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-ovendome11.jpg   Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-ovendome12.jpg  
mirassou and checker1965 like this.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Master Builder

Looks good. Not far to the plug. I look forward to watching as you put the finishing touches to an impressive dome.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-14-2014, 05:56 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Looks good. Not far to the plug. I look forward to watching as you put the finishing touches to an impressive dome.
Thanks, Steve. I hope to get the dome done this week, if the weather cooperates. I know it'll make me happy to reach that milestone in the build, so I can move on to the rest of it.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Apprentice

Hey Carl, I've been away from this for a few months. I'm going through it page by page and your build looks great!

Link to my pictures

Old 07-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Apprentice

Have to relish those last few bricks in the dome, as it'll be done, though I see that you have the remainder of the entryway to finish.

Link to my pictures

Tags
north carolina