Old 04-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: soapstone use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagored154 View Post
i desperately tried to get the right advice for the soapstone. I ended up putting them under the fire brick and then put splits on top of the fire brick. I
When I read this I died a little inside...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: soapstone use

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpaolino View Post
Thanks Chris, that is my fear. I guess I will reserve it just for the floor of the oven. Thanks for the reply.
I would give my right...well lets just say I would love to get a bunch of soapstone bricks to build a dome or vault someday.

What Chris says is true, soapstone is non-porous but it is still absorbent. You can absolutely build a dome or vault with soapstone bricks. You could rough up the contact points to help the mechanical bond of the mortar too.

When I lived in CT, my next door neighbor happened to be one of the foremost builders of masonry heaters in the US, and he primarily used soapstone..I wish I could just post a link. Hint - I lived in Goshen,CT. It is a very versatile stone....I hope you go for it...the inside would look stunning!

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin