Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven

A lot going on these past few weeks, but I have finally had some time to work on my oven in the last week. It is going OK, but I am having a problem with the bricks lining up right on the joints. They are touching on the top and not on the bottom. It is creating an upside down V. I think it is mainly the used bricks I am using, but it is making things a little difficult and I wanted all my joints as close as possible. If you guys could take a look at the pics I have below and let me know if this is something you have run into, or if you think it will be a problem.

I should have time to do the third chain tomorrow, which means the start of the transition to the inside arch. JOY! I am shooting for having the dome and curing done by July 3rd. That may be pushing it, but that is what I am shooting for.

Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails
Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-img_0838.jpg   Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-img_0839.jpg   Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-img_0842.jpg   Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-img_0840.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Scott,

That's the nature of the beast. The ONLY way to avoid it is to cut your bricks at an angle. Go to the photo gallery and look at some of my pictures. A few others have cut them as well. It's a pain, but doable.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Master Builder

Scott. Les is right. The further you go up, as the bricks are tipped in more of an angle, they make the infamous "inverted V". Two options: 1) accept them for what they are. This is a quicker approach, just using half bricks all the way up. Problem is that the joints have more mortar. 2) Angle (bevel?) the sides of the bricks so they are fatter on the bottom. That way they meet at neat joints when tipped inward to close in the rings. This is the route I took, although not nearly as perfect as others. It does take quite a bit longer.

If you choose to go this route (although, if my build was any benchmark, it would really push it to be done by the 4th of July), then there are several tips and methods for achieving this if you scour through the threads. I found this thread to be quite useful, particularly posts 60-80 (about)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ical-3124.html (It's time to go Vertical)

Old 06-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Apprentice

Scott,

Nice progress! You're moving right along.

I haven't started cutting any bricks yet but have poured my structural hearth. I ordered Foamglas insulation which will be delivered tomorrow for my insulative layer and then I will be running into the same issues (challenges) you are experiencing. I wouldn't blame it all on the bricks you are using. As Les explained, that "V" gap is what you'll get without cutting angles. I laid this out in SolidWorks prior to starting and noticed the same gaps - check out the pix. I am not looking forward to cutting angles on all the bricks but I think it needs to be done...

~Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-oven_1.jpg   Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-oven_2.jpg  
Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Laborer

Thanks guys. At least I don't feel like I am doing something wrong. I don't know how, but I must have missed this detail in reading all of the other threads I have gone through. I started to think about it after I posted the last response and I realized I would have to create that inverted V when you lift the brick up. I am not sure all of the extra cutting is worth the effort. The gaps on the bottom are about 1\8". I think when I get past the third chain I will consider it, as the gap will most likely get larger as the chains go up. I guess I could just cut a shim and prop them up a little when I cut the side angles. That would give me the compound angle I am looking for.

What did you guys do?

Unfortunately, I got laid off last week. Up side is I can work on the oven every day and I should be able to get the dome finished pretty quickly now and get to curing. From what I have read I should wait at least a week after I am finished to start the curing fires. Is the about right? I know the longer the better, but what is a realistic time frame?

Thanks,

Last edited by smuth10; 06-03-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuth10 View Post

What did you guys do?
Scott,

I cut the angle. A shim will not solve your problem. I used them to keep my radius and thats it. To minimize the "V" is to cut your bricks thinner - that will help. When I did the math, and if I cut every brick to stay off bond - the top bricks ended up being about 3/4 inch wide - INSANE! I get the feeling you don't want to go there. Many, many have built their ovens the way you are going with great results - go for it.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 06-03-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Scott, I would let my joints get to just over 1/8" at the widest of the V's then the next row would get trimmed on the sides. I was amazed at how little you had to tilt the brick up when cutting them to get to reduce the V's. That's right, all I went for was to REDUCE the V, not eliminate it. Occasionally, it actually would get eliminated but that was by accident, not by my engineering or wet-saw cutting abilities by any means. This is just another option. BTW, your brick work looks very nice. Bummer about your job, but you've got the right attitude. Keep up the good work, Oh, and Les is right, near the top rows, if cut the bricks into smaller pieces, the V naturally reduces but that's a lot of little pieces to mortar. Others on this forum used half blocks up to the top, their posted pics look great and I'm sure they cook fine too. Keep up the good work, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Master Builder

Sorry about the job, Scott. Tough times all around in Michigan. Hang in there.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Apprentice

Scott
The compound cuts are really not that hard as long as you don't expect to be exact.
Take a look at my thread. I have pictures of the set up i used for rows 1 and 2 on pg 4 and rows 3-7 on pg 8. it was easy and close enough.

For rows 3-7:
I put the 15 or so bricks I needed for a row in a wheel barrow next to my saw with some water in it.
Cut the bricks in half. goes pretty quick when you set up a guide.

Now I had 30 half bricks 4.5 x 4.5 in

I cut a wedge of 2x4 with a 4deg slope (kinda like a 4" wide shallow doorstop)
Set the half brick on top of the wedge on the saw.
This gives the tapered bottom to top cut of 4deg which has been pretty good for rows 3-7. I'll probably recut a 5deg wedge for the next row.
My thread has pictures of a piece of metal raising up the brick for the first two rows. I will add a picture of the wedge method.

For the front to back taper you have to angle the brick on the table by turning it a few degrees. I used three door shims stacked together to angle the brick for the second angle.

Now cut all 30 bricks with that compound cut. and you are half way there.

Flip the wedge and shims to the other side of the table and cut the bricks on the other side. ta da

Once you get it going, you can knock out a row in under 30mins.

Another helpful tool for archs and angles is the Angleizer tool and software available for $15 at HD

Good luck.

Click to see my Thread:

Click to see Google web album:

Last edited by geisen; 06-05-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Laborer

Dino, I am trying to do the same thing. My oven is far from perfect and it seems like the closer I get to the top, the less picky I am about how the bricks are fitting. I am starting to get a little short on patience, but I just need to take a step back and take my time. I have a bit of a problem with my oven being out of shape at this point. I know this is usually the case with the transition to the inner arch, but mine seems to be pretty bad. I am going to try and straighten it out with the next ring, but it may take a couple.

Greg, I was worried about the previous rings not being cut on angles and having everything uniform, but the inverted V was getting really bad so I took your advice and started with a 4 degree angle on each side for the 6th chain. I am at 6 deg now and there is still a little there, but it is much smaller. I am hoping to be done by this weekend and just leave the dome sit until next weekend. I am planning to work on the chimney and outer arch while it cures. Is this pretty much what you guys did as well?

Also, I ran out of Heat Stop after the 6th chain and I decided to make my own to save some money. It seems to work pretty well. Just not as sticky and smooth. I just worry I will have problems with it down the road. I followed the recipe exactly from the FB instructions. Has anyone else used this recipe and had good success with it?

I have a lot of concerns at this point and I would love some input from those of you that have been at this point with similar problems.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-img_0858.jpg   Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-img_0859.jpg