Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven

The insulating concrete layer is good for compression. I bolted metal studs down flat to attach the wall frames to. Just need longer red head bolts so you are securing to the structural layer. Works fine.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I built a 36 inch and used 3 bags of heatstop. I also had to use some home brew, but by the time I got to that part I had already made enough fireclay cutting bricks to do the job no problem. I don't think you can do it with two bags unless you do a whole lot of cutting. I didn't do a lot of cutting on mine- I didn't have the neato HF saw, so my bricks are just cut in half or in thirds, with an occasional shaped cut around the archway. Those were achieved with great cursing and irritation and my little wet saw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:36 AM
Laborer

Thanks for all of the great info everyone. Looks like I will be buying 3 bags of the HS rather than having to make two trips. I keep forgetting about all of the fire clay I will have left over after cutting all of those bricks.

I already have the wood frame built so I think I should have time tonight to pour the insulating part of the hearth. I will post some pics when I am done. Now I just need to buy the HeatStop, fire clay, and order a wet saw. I think I will take everyone's advice and get the HS saw, but unfortunately it is not on sale right now.

Thanks again for everyone's input. This group is great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by smuth10; 05-07-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Laborer

I did a little bit of research and found a printable 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight. You have to use it in the store, but I am lucky enough to have a couple near me. Here is a link if anyone is interested.

http://tinyurl.com/c8s2dt

Last edited by smuth10; 05-07-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yup, you have to be really lucky to get the coupon AND have the HF saw on sale at the same time. And for a guy with "no experience what-so-ever" your foundation, stand and steel work is top notch in my book. Your pics show nice workmanship and will be an encouragement for others to do it too. Don't hesitate to ask about anything. Thanks for posting and I look forward to your build. - Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Master Builder

Scott,

Looks like you're off to a great start. The amount of Heat Stop you use depends a great deal on how much of an effort you want to cut your brick. If you cut angles and bevels on each course, your bricks will fit tight, with little mortar. If you just use 1/2 sized bricks all the way up, you will need more mortar to fill the gap. Both methods seem to work well, just a matter of preference. I chose to cut the bricks (for the most part) with small mortar joints only because the Heat stop was so expensive relative to the firebrick.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
dmun, did you not add water to your fire clay mixture? is there an advantage to leaving the water out?
Yes, you can play with the level until you get it just right, and then dampen the floor to set the mixture. This method was the brainchild of Alf, FB's UK rep.

As for me, i just plunked my bricks down on insulation board. No muss, no fuss.

Quote:
Also, I am going to pickup the Heat Stop II I need. How many bags do you think I will need for the 36" oven? I was hoping to get away with 2. Especially at $65 a bag.
I used one bag, but i cut every brick, and i don't recommend that unless you're stark raving mad like me. I think folks have used 3 to 4 for the entire mortaring of the dome. If cost were an issue, i suppose you could use heatstop for the inner joints exposed to the heat, and then infill the big voids with the cheap homebrew mortar.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Laborer

Thanks Dino. So far it has pretty much been labor only. I am a little worried about the dome and cutting all of the bricks. I am still not sure if am I going to cut angles on all of the bricks or just use extra mortar.

Mike, I agree with you, at $70 a bag it is pretty crazy. I think I will need three bags. I am leaning towards cutting angles on the sides and just using shims on the bottoms. I guess it is really a matter of how comfortable I get with the tile saw.

Dmun, I think I may do the same with the fire clay. I wish I had your patience, but I think I may just buy extra HS and return what I don't use.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Laborer

So I had time to pour the insulating layer last night. It's funny, even after reading everyone's posts about how weird it is to work with the percrete mixture, I still am not sure I did it right.

The first mix was 15 gallons Perlite and 3 gallons portland cement and it was a little too much for my wheelbarrow to hold. I put all of the dry ingredients in my mixer for a couple of minutes and then added it to the wheelbarrow. I added the water and used a garden hoe to mix it up. It came out pretty good I guess. I ended up using about 6 CF of perlite and just over a half bag of portland cement(94lb bag). The area is 45" x 50" x 3 3\4" deep just to give you an idea of materials used. Last night before I covered it, it seemed like there was no way it was going to be solid, but when I checked it this morning it was starting to harden up. The top pieces are still pretty loose. Is this normal?

So the questions I have....

How long should I leave this covered?

Also, I want to pour the rest of the cement around the edges this weekend. Do you think three days is enough time for me to be able to take the inside forms off? After I pour the concrete around the edges I am planning on letting the whole thing sit until next weekend.

Thanks again and sorry for the long post. I am starting to stay up at night thinking about this thing. I may need start a POAA group. (Pizza Oven Addicts Anonymous)

Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Laborer

Forgot to add the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-img_0759.jpg   Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-img_0760.jpg   Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-img_0761.jpg