Old 10-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Smoke past door / Throat Size?

So the consensus is then that the chimney being set back about 3 inches to the rear of the oven is not a problem - just the depth?
>I see it that way. You are plenty wide so the volume is there its just as the smoke and heat rolls out of the oven, and it does this rapidly, the curve it has to make I think is just to sharp.

Would the chimney being directly over the vent improve draft or?
>I don't think this is an issue here.

I am confused here as I have seen several ovens that vent it back all the way to the center of the dome before going up to a chimney so?
>Where we are at with your oven is tying to get more INTO the vent. What you describe is in there sounds fine.

As I see it I could cut the concrete out in the front of the vent and repour a second concrete vent extension there and actually move the chimney over the vent
>again I do not see this as your issue.

or I could leave as is but cut a bit of the front of the concrete and then put in a metal extension on the sides and above the landing sloping up as mentioned.
>Your placement is fine I think you just need to widen it (front to back) more. Here is what I am thinking: See attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Smoke past door / Throat Size?-hood-retro.jpg  
Old 10-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, there you have it, your 1000 words per picture Just a little humor, but the idea of extending the vent front and back sounds right.

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Mongo

I think what I'll do is extend the front then ala the drawing that unofornaio included (thanks). The front concrete is about 2.5 inches thick so if I cut into that and extend past it another couple inches with a metal extension that should give me what I need and not have to move the chimney then.

Does the extra width of my vent, side to side, hurt anything? Should that be made smaller?

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks all.

Mongo - Master Mason & Oven Builder since 2007 (hahaha ya right
Old 11-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Mongo

Default Oven Finished

Here's a couple pictures of the finished oven (gonna paint it in the spring as it's too cold now but other than THAT it's finished). I ended up extending the vent depth with concrete and it is working fine now as far as smoke past the door.

It seems to heat up ok but I've yet to get the oven to go white inside except for a small ring around the roof. Will this improve in time or is it because my oven is larger and I need to do different fire techniques (I've had it really rippin'...can't imagine getting it bigger than I did as far as fire size)? I assume I have the right firebrick according to the brick guys it was a low duty but how does one check that?
Attached Thumbnails
Smoke past door / Throat Size?-o1.jpg   Smoke past door / Throat Size?-o6.jpg  
Old 11-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mongo,

A 50" oven is a monster (great job!!!).
Did your rippin fire actually scare you??? If not, probably not big enough. I'm guessing you didn't burn that big fire long enough either. A 50" oven is going to take considerably more wood and a longer time frame to reach the burned white pizza stage than it does for those of us with tiny 36" ovens.
Although I would never need an of of your size...its really cool to think about. Come to think of it, I would like to roast a whole pig in a WFO, I'm wondering if it would fit through your entry.

Rt
Old 11-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mongo, show a photo of what you consider a raging fire for heating up. I know there have been more than these below.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...ndex.php?n=702
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...ndex.php?n=177

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Mongo

I believe sir the term I used was "rippin'" not "ragin'" fire haha - just kidding...all this election stuff on TV has me in politician mode. You guys are probably right though - not big enough, not long enough, not wide enough (that's what she said). Here's a couple photos. I did not take them at the peak time of the biggest fire ('cept for the infra red thermo one) but you can get an idea how wide the fire was.

Today I think I'll experiment with splitting the fire into two fires, one on each side of the oven and see how that goes.

As for the whole pig (lol) I doubt you could fit it through the entry as I made it a little smaller at about 19" wide and 11" high. I did do some pork on my Weber Bullet though. I'll throw in a couple pictures for good measure.
Attached Thumbnails
Smoke past door / Throat Size?-20071030-2.jpg   Smoke past door / Throat Size?-20071030-3.jpg   Smoke past door / Throat Size?-20071030-4.jpg   Smoke past door / Throat Size?-20071030-19.jpg   Smoke past door / Throat Size?-20071031-1.jpg  

Old 11-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mongo, you may want to feed it 2-4" rounds as the flame gets going. Choose and confirm the wood type that is best for BTU's. Also, try to keep ash to a minimum and finally, consider a log holder.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...-wood-908.html (Choosing and finding wood)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/a...wood#post15053 (alder or maple for firewood?)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/...ality-582.html (Log holder and fire quality)

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 11-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Mongo

Thanks acoma.

Ya for sure I'm gonna get a log holder or two. Working on that.

I got the sucker to go white today finally! Trick seemed to be longer fire and bigger fire like you said (I probably had twice as much wood as I needed to day but I wanted to overdo it). The real change seemed to be placing the fire at the back as opposed to the side(s) of the oven. I know that is supposed to not be as good as the sides but for whatever reason I could instantly see a change in the fire. It went into that plasma stage like someone was talking about on here, and I think it was the trick needed to get the flames to lap all the way across the dome.

Man I couldn't stop staring at it. Not sure if I'm proud or just a pyro haha. The heat was scorching my eyelashes and forehead but still I was transfixed.

It's been hours later and the door is not on (don't have that built yet) and it's still at 800-900 degrees just with the coals.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Mongo

Oh here's the post with the pictures from today's fire...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...rent-2888.html (Proud Parent !!!)