Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Smoke Escaping

Lattice is the go I reckon Dave. Funny thing is, I'm a bit of a gunna, when it comes to this.
I had three months long service leave this year, and used the oven a few times, but couldn't seem to get my act together to actually put up some lattice.
There was too much fishin', huntin', motorcycling, catching up with old mates, and touring around, to be done.
I'm more committed going into the Christmas break.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
I had three months long service leave this year, and used the oven a few times, but couldn't seem to get my act together to actually put up some lattice.
There was too much fishin', huntin', motorcycling, catching up with old mates, and touring around, to be done.
I'm more committed going into the Christmas break.
Dayam! How many days a year do ya'll actually work down there ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Dayam! How many days a year do ya'll actually work down there ....
Hee, hee. It sure must seem a lot.
Let me see if I can explain it.

In theory, we get 12 public holidays per year. (You have Independence Day, Thanksgiving, etc, we have Australia Day, New Years Day, Christmas Day, etc) So 5 days per week minus 12 public holidays = working 248 days per year.

I work for salary, not wages. Working day starts at 07:00, finishes at 16:30, with a half hour for lunch. So that is a 9 hour day.
So that's 2232 hours per year.
I believe that's pretty comparable with a lot of other countries.

However, there are a couple of positives and negatives, that overall means we got it pretty damn good. Make that real damn good.

The negatives?
We are on call. We front up whenever the job requires it, which is why, even though I am on holiday (vacation) right now, I went in to work on 4 days in my first week of leave to help with loading a ship. On-call work, after hours and weekends, is not paid, a reasonable amount is considered adequately compensated in your salary.
During the first decade of this century, the on-call, and work when needed, requirement saw me not use all of my annual leave (vacation) entitlements as they came due.

The positives
We have extremely generous leave entitlements here in OZ, and mine are even better than most. Under my individual contract, no union agreement, I am entitle to 25 days annual leave, every year, and what I don't get to use accumulates, since it's often the case that the company asks me not to take some of it. (The timing of this leave must be by mutual agreement, it must suit the "business needs").

In addition we have a thing called long service leave. Put simply, for every year of employment, with the same company, you get 1.3 weeks of long service leave.
After 10 years you can take a 13 week break. You might call it a paid sabbatical. If you leave before you've worked 7 years, you get nothing. It's all about rewarding hard work and loyalty. Brilliant, eh? It varies from state to state.

After 40 years, and I've now worked for the same company for 37 years, you essentially have accumulated an entitlement to 1 year off, though this is not in the spirit of the legislation to accumulate it, you should take it every 10 years.

So I have a large backlog of leave that the company recognises.
The leave gets paid from a different section of the budget to normal working salaries and it is financially beneficial, I won't try to explain how, for all of us with large leave entitlements to take as much as possible. So we are.
They are actually running a "No leave = No life" campaign at the moment. "take your leave, we'll even book your flights for you." I kid you not.

After over 4 months leave this year, I am expected to book at least 2 months leave next year.

Anything to help the company out.

It really is give and take when you are salaried staff. We put in some biiggg weeks, and get generous leave entitlements by way of compensation.
Works for me.

Last edited by wotavidone; 12-22-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Master Builder

P.S. It averages out, for me, to an entitlement to 6 weeks leave per year.
It would be 5 weeks for people not lucky enough to nail that extra week's vacation that the company offered in my contract.