Default Re: Shay's Pompeii Oven and Kitchen

Shay,
What kind of enclosure ( for the dome?)

L.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Apprentice

Don't get me started Lars!

After talking to the wife I think I'm going to try brick trim and square rock veneer for the stand. Then for the dome I'm going to see what it looks like with just stucco on it and probably brick around the flue.

The big thing is that I'm doing a whole kitchen area, including a fireplace, and not just an oven so I'd like them to work together..

I've seen people selling leftovers of veneer on craigslist so I might start there. I saw someones oven once which had some really nice smooth bricks going into the oven.. I think they had a bullnose to them too.. the look was impressive and I'd like something like that for a ledge in front of the oven.

-Shay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Journeyman

Shay,
I'll be posting pics of my enclosure ( back and front) with just a scratch coat on the stucco over the dome, and brick in front. We fired it up for pizza tonight and, miracle of miracles... NO CRACKS!!!! Weird!

L.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Apprentice

Awesome, let me know when you do.. that's exactly what i'm thinking of doing. 2 weeks and counting for my first pizza.. did you put a vent in before you started firing? I'm going to wait and do it after I've fired the dome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Journeyman

Shay,
Heres a pic of the back of my oven...

I would build up your vent and flue before firing, but put a blanket around ( or somehow insulate the flue) before firing hard ( if it is masonry)

just my opinion.

L.
Attached Thumbnails
Shay's Pompeii Oven and Kitchen-dome2.jpg   Shay's Pompeii Oven and Kitchen-dome1.jpg  
Old 07-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Apprentice

I'm going to go with DuraVent.. once I have the vent anchor plate I'll build a place for it and then so a re-firing.. but I gotta have me some pizza!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Shay, so sorry to read about your arch falling. It looks really strong, good joints but like you said, you just did too much to it before it dried. I REALLY like your solution to notching the inner arch for the reveal, but bringing the reveal forward and using uncut or un-notched arch-wall bricks offset 1" for the side reveal. You were left with those little triangular points in the corners but I hope others follow your design, it looks good.

BTW: I also used some acid to get the white off, not too successfully and it DID all burn off anyway, so don't go crazy removing it. Just sponge it down when you take a picture and it'll look super until it dries.

Don't forget, I think it's better to tin-snip the 3/4" collar that drops down below the Duravent anchor plate so the opening is flat. If you leave it and build or brick up to it, it could expand when hot and shift or crack the bricks next to it OR if you leave some room, well then the smoke will not have a smooth escape route. Just a thought,

Still, it all looks very nice! Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Dino! I plan on taking the grinder to those little protrusions once I've cooked in it a few times and it's fairly solid.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Apprentice

Default Flue Started

This weekend I re-fixed my front arch after it collapsed due to a lack of good buttressing. I also added more support to the sides to hopefully prevent further incidents. Honestly I think extra support should be stressed in the pompeii guide.

Today I cut my 8x12 flue to make a tapered flue.. this wasn't that hard really.. the &@#%ty part is that I didn't actually pay attention to the measurements and realized when I was done that the flue was originally 7 1/2" x 11 1/2" and not 8 1/2" x 12" like I presumed.. which wouldn't be that big a deal except I stupidly assumed it was going to be 8 1/2" like my square flues.. so now they don't match up.. but I think I'll just cut one of my square ones up and make a small flared cap for it which matches whatever flue cap I get, which means I'll wait until I pick a cap..

Friday I plan on trying to finish up getting the oven prepared for the tapered flue and then I'll quit for a week to let it cure before I start firing.

-Shay
Attached Thumbnails
Shay's Pompeii Oven and Kitchen-5696_1201223471582_1258429738_574348_1857804_n.jpg   Shay's Pompeii Oven and Kitchen-5696_1201221671537_1258429738_574329_634593_n.jpg   Shay's Pompeii Oven and Kitchen-5696_1201221631536_1258429738_574328_6250248_n.jpg   Shay's Pompeii Oven and Kitchen-5696_1201221591535_1258429738_574327_5859782_n.jpg  

Old 07-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Apprentice

Shay ,

Sorry to hear about the collapse... I have been wondering about extra support as I build mine although I have a way to go before I can even consider it. Are you any where near Minneapolis??

Peter