Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Share your crack stories

So is there anyone out there who can support the theory that the soldiers are structurally superior. If not is the sole reason to obtain extra height at the perimeter?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
So is there anyone out there who can support the theory that the soldiers are structurally superior.
No reasoning that has to do with physics or real masonry knowledge would support that. This is a good concise reason..
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Its all about lateral thrust, the enemy of brickwork...
Soldiers are inherently weak.
Any tall relatively thin walled masonry structure which is load bearing, needs some sort of buttressing...if the load exceeds what the wall will carry without it. Most ovens do not exceed that capacity on their own, so in most cases you will be successful with only the brick soldier. And if the oven is encapsulated in some sort of vcrete or similar material, then that acts like buttressing.

Quote:
If not is the sole reason to obtain extra height at the perimeter?
David, I would agree that this would be a good reason why soldiers are a popular technique.

What I would be interested in seeing is how big of a diameter you could go before buttressing becomes necessary. So far, the largest I have done is a 42" Neo...no buttressing. I would think larger ovens would need it, as the larger diameter means more courses, which means more weight, which translates into greater lateral thrust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Laborer

Quote:
So is there anyone out there who can support the theory that the soldiers are structurally superior. If not is the sole reason to obtain extra height at the perimeter?
I can't comment on the structural aspects of soldiers but more than one person has said that they used soldiers to avoid a horizontal mortar joint at floor level. I guess they were worried about ramming their peels into it. Someone else had the idea of starting out the dome with a row of splits to avoid this.

~Aaron
Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
If not is the sole reason to obtain extra height at the perimeter?
It would be easier to gain extra height by just laying the first few courses level.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I have never really understood why a soldier course is recommended. Usually cracks in the dome begin at the base, which is the weak point of the dome and want to travel vertically. By doing a soldier course you are merely encouraging this to occur. The only advantage that I can see is that you get a little extra height at the perimeter of the dome. That could be achieved by laying two normal courses without leaning them in on the dome radius profile and laying them in bond. Is the soldier course recommended in the Pompeii plans and if so can anyone support it's advantages?
Yes, I agree.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Master Builder

Interesting read. Question, when building the walls on the brick floor, do we mortar the bottom of the first coarse of the brick? so do we apply mortar to the bottom of the brick onto the brick floor?
Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Interesting read. Question, when building the walls on the brick floor, do we mortar the bottom of the first coarse of the brick? so do we apply mortar to the bottom of the brick onto the brick floor?
No..well, at least I don't. It would break bond quickly and would be of no value if you did, because the walls and the floor brick will expand and contract at different rates during thermal cycles.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Share your crack stories

This (First Pizza & Cracks!) is my crack thread, it includes pictures and repairs.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
No..well, at least I don't. It would break bond quickly and would be of no value if you did, because the walls and the floor brick will expand and contract at different rates during thermal cycles.
Thank you.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Laborer

So here is another one of my rookie theories on this crack. It might be be connected to the soldier course. During the curing process I followed the FB schedule. I even added a couple extra days of the top of the dome hitting 850-900F. The sides reached a temperature of around 500 and floor hit around 400 I think. Pizza time. I fire the oven in the middle until the clears. Next move the coals to the left side (side with the crack) and throw on some more wood. I am not sure how hot the sides got but I am sure it was a lot more than the 500F it reached during curing. I fired the oven several more times before the crack appeared. I am thinking there was a least a 400 degree jump between curing and first pizza. This may have been enough stress to create the crack.