Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Share your crack stories

Gudday
Not having "best practice" doesn't mean your oven will not work.
Use your oven and see what happens first. I recon it will still works cracks or no cracks. If they upset you on the outside of the dome enclose the whole dome and fill with pealite. Out of sit out of mind.

Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Laborer

Thanks Dave.

I attached a photo of my situation. You can only see cracks from the inside of the oven. I fired it up last night. I don't think they got any bigger. At some point, do I fill with mortar or just let it be a trademark of my WFO?
Attached Thumbnails
Share your crack stories-cracks.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Exclamation Re: Share your crack stories

Gudday
Think again .....I have gapes between my bricks which at one stage I didn't like so ..... I ignored the one set of advice to ignore it. I liked the one that said crawl in with a piping bag of mortar . I did manage to crawl in to my 12x 20 entrance to discover ones torso blocks both light and air. Scared the hell out of me.
But I"m stubborn as well as stupid. So I ventured back with lamp and extraction (shop vac ). Filled a small space above the entrance and to one side and retreated to see if it would work.
The mortar fell out,I stopped worrying about , and set about cooking and eating and enjoying my oven

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-19-2013, 02:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteVB View Post
Thanks Dave.

I attached a photo of my situation. You can only see cracks from the inside of the oven. I fired it up last night. I don't think they got any bigger. At some point, do I fill with mortar or just let it be a trademark of my WFO?
I have never really understood why a soldier course is recommended. Usually cracks in the dome begin at the base, which is the weak point of the dome and want to travel vertically. By doing a soldier course you are merely encouraging this to occur. The only advantage that I can see is that you get a little extra height at the perimeter of the dome. That could be achieved by laying two normal courses without leaning them in on the dome radius profile and laying them in bond. Is the soldier course recommended in the Pompeii plans and if so can anyone support it's advantages?
cobblerdave likes this.

Last edited by david s; 02-19-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I built with a soldier course cause it was in the plans....but now I agree with you david s and most will ......but it's still in the plans

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-19-2013, 03:47 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Think again .....I have gapes between my bricks which at one stage I didn't like so ..... I ignored the one set of advice to ignore it. I liked the one that said crawl in with a piping bag of mortar . I did manage to crawl in to my 12x 20 entrance to discover ones torso blocks both light and air. Scared the hell out of me.

Regards dave
Hi Dave

i resemble those remarks ......as an aside. I once renovated a bathroom and my plumber mate wanted me to crawl under house to put in a support under the shower base [hate that]. I panicked as there wasn't a lot of room he came under like a bloody rabbit and i got out, well tried too.

The access to under the house was only 4 bricks high. Got in easily on the way out i got half way [head outside, thank god] but got stuck and panicked. layed there for nearly 30 minutes to try to calm down before i could wriggle out. when you panick your chest expands.

It was the biggest my chest has ever been

So i understand how you may have felt squeezing into that small space, no light [or air] i had light and air but still scared the shit out of me.. as i couldn't move the more i panicked the more my chest expanded.

the funny thing was my mate couldn't get out either........ as there was this fat man blocking his exit. LOL

My Build -
Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I have never really understood why a soldier course is recommended. Usually cracks in the dome begin at the base, which is the weak point of the dome and want to travel vertically. By doing a soldier course you are merely encouraging this to occur. The only advantage that I can see is that you get a little extra height at the perimeter of the dome. That could be achieved by laying two normal courses without leaning them in on the dome radius profile and laying them in bond. Is the soldier course recommended in the Pompeii plans and if so can anyone support it's advantages?
Mick,
Perhaps your reinforced concrete on the outside of your dome has contributed to its strength at the base. The Pantheon in Rome is the largest unreinforced concrete dome in the world. To overcome the problem of weakness at its base they made the walls some 6 metres thick, then as the dome got progressively higher so the walls became progressively thinner. They even adjusted the mass of the aggregate for the upper walls by carting in pumice stone (lightweight volcanic stone) from Pompeii, hundreds of kilometers away.

The long vertical joins in the soldier bricks at the base of oven domes would surely be weaker than shorter ones.
Dave

Last edited by david s; 02-19-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Laborer

Yes, I did soak my bricks. I soaked them in a bucket until there were no more bubbles. I think sometimes up to 10-15 minutes.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mortar is weaker than brick so as the crack wants to run vertically the soldiers provide an easier path. If the dome were built without mortar eg a one piece casting you still get a vertical crack starting at the base. My own mobile oven is a case in point. That's one reason I now make the dome in three pieces.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
I could even make an argument for a soldier course being better,
Its all about lateral thrust, the enemy of brickwork.
A soldier course is 230mm high as against a brick laid flat at 86mm high, the higher up you go the greater the forces.
Soldiers are inherently weak.