Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Share your crack stories

Another crack story.
We went and stayed at my wifes brothers place for a few day for Easter, the ground is so dry after summer, he showed me a fence post that is traveling as the ground dries.
The reference point is a steel post that is concreted in to a corner of a large concrete slab.

The traveling post has moved about 50mm and has stayed perfectly vertical and plumb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Laborer

This is great information that is not found in the FB plans. I wish I started this discussion before starting my build or at least the first course. haha. I definitely can see how tying everything together may have prevented the crack How thick is the cladding on your ovens. I thought I read somewhere in this forum to limit the cladding/thermal mass and insulate, insulate and insulate. My cladding is only 1/4" to 1/2" thick. The thickness was determined by how much mortar remained in my bucket. Tscar, Do you continue the reinforced cladding over the top of the dome or just to reinforce the soldier course.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The whole dome is cladded, but it is thin (1/4") and not structural.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I haven't reinforced the cladding on any of the ovens I have built, but not because I think it won't work. My current oven will have a soldier course, so I think I'm going to try the SS banding just for some extra stability. I'm not going to bother with reinforcing the cladding though.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
When I poured the water table around my oven, I was in a hurry to peel the forms to finish the edge, so about 3 hours after I poured it, I cracked off 4" of one corner...
I have my own trouble with water-table, casting too many pieces!

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-31-2013, 06:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The reality is that the amount of outward thrust exhibited by these ovens is minimal, and simple cladding will prevent a soldier/sailor course built oven from collapsing, but it will be prone to structural cracking. Not a big deal, but not a design that allows for much error.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, one neo we did was close to 46" with a soldier base ...no buttressing or banding. No problems...really slow cure schedule because it was winter time and we were in a temporary shelter. Cladding wasn't even an inch, no reinforcement. Any larger, I would have done something.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-31-2013, 06:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
The reality is that the amount of outward thrust exhibited by these ovens is minimal, and simple cladding will prevent a soldier/sailor course built oven from collapsing, but it will be prone to structural cracking. Not a big deal, but not a design that allows for much error.
I think it is the thermal expansion of the refractory that is the problem combined with the structure and the fact that the rate of heating is uneven in different parts of the dome and floor for that matter. The first oven I built had a central flue and where the inner dome penetrated through the outer shell you could see a gap of around 4mm between the two because of the expansion. That translated to about 2% which is not inconsiderable.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Laborer

I really appreciate the the experts opinions on this. Stonecutter, is your definition of a slow cure schedule different that the FB schedule.. I followed the FB schedule. I checked the dome temp. I think I should have focused more on the floor and sides. I still think my "crack' is a result thermal shift. I moved the fire too the left side too quickly. The dome hit 800 F but the side were still much lower. Moving he fire to the side put major temperature/thermal expansion into play. If I did it a again.....I would follow Tscar's advice and clad the lower courses. I would also slow the curing schedule so that the side and floor "SLOWLY" reach temp. I have have had 5-10 pizza nights since posting this "crack" and I think the oven is just now fully cured and settling in. My new problem is planning and heat utilization. The oven stays hot for days. Pizza the first night. Bread in the morning. Beer Can Chicken and baked potatoes that evening. And, a slow cooked brisket or pulled pork once it cools to 225F or so. My wife also likes the meringues that the oven creates once the oven cools.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteVB View Post
My wife also likes the meringues that the oven creates once the oven cools.
My wife cooked them on the front landing about 6" in front of the oven opening one night for desert when we had pizza.

The guests were amazed and loved them.