Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Share your crack stories

Also, and I have said this before on this board. I am a professional in the industry, so I am limited to best practices on any advice I give. Crazy ideas might work, but unless I personally have done it, or it is considered an industry best practice, I will not recommend it. Obviously you (royal you) can do what you want, but you will not get anything else from me than best practices or personal experience.
Laurentius likes this.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Also, and I have said this before on this board. I am a professional in the industry, so I am limited to best practices on any advice I give. Crazy ideas might work, but unless I personally have done it, or it is considered an industry best practice, I will not recommend it. Obviously you (royal you) can do what you want, but you will not get anything else from me than best practices or personal experience.
X2..'nuff said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well.... that was interesting.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That's one way to put it.

Tscar, is that ladder wire you are using?

I am considering the use of banding on my current build. I have never used it before, even on the Neo domes with soldier courses, but I have some SS termination bar and SS Seismic wire that would work perfect....just for some extra reinforcement and because I have it. How did that Neo travel on your friends trailer? Any cracks?

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone
Can you assist? How does one de-register
Just unregister from subscriptions, or, ask admin to unregister you.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

What a pity. Seems Mick has deleted all his posts on this thread and no longer wants to discuss. I enjoyed this discussion and his contributions. I now feel bad that I raised the initial doubt about the inherent weakness of using soldiers if it has produced a casualty.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

David, nothing you said caused that. If we can't discuss and reason (like adults) even if we can't see each others point of view without attacking each others character and getting inflammatory, then that's a personal issue.

To the op, sorry this derailed the thread a bit...hopefully it goes back to crack stories.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-31-2013, 04:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Shit...........

My Build

My Door

Old 03-31-2013, 01:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is 3/16" HDG ladder wire. The rebar is grouted into the concrete slab through the hearth, and the wire was pre-tensioned with the shims that center it.

To say that sailors/soldiers are inherently weaker is true. That is not an opinion, it is physics. They are, in this instance, also desirable, so the key is to be cognizant of the fact when they are used.

That oven did not crack on it's 200 mile journey, and still hasn't in use.

I hate to see anyone get mad and leave, especially over a discussion in which no one was right or wrong.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh yeah, a crack story. When I poured the water table around my oven, I was in a hurry to peel the forms to finish the edge, so about 3 hours after I poured it, I cracked off 4" of one corner. %$@#%&!!!!