Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Scotty's 36" Build on the Sunshine Coast, Australia.

Came home tonight after about 9 hours since I did the above rendering and there are some substantial cracks in the render and it feels a bit loose or it seems to float on the blanket still. It is still a bit wet so I know its still setting, but will the cracking eventually stop on the render? I assume I have to do a few coats of this stuff, how thick should it go??
Cheers
Scotty
Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 AM
Apprentice

Hey scott, build looks great, with your issue with the door, i think the norm is to sandwich a board of calcium silicate inbetween 2 sheets of steel. I suppose if you did that, you could do a 6mm steel back of door (facing fire), then the silicate board,then you could have the stainless facing outward if you wanted the stainless look.
You can get the board pretty cheap around Brissy. Its only about $25 for a 1" board 1000 x 500mm. Just use 2 layers to get 2" thick insulated door. thats similar to what i'm thinking of doing anyway.
Keep up the great building.

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsummers View Post
Came home tonight after about 9 hours since I did the above rendering and there are some substantial cracks in the render and it feels a bit loose or it seems to float on the blanket still. It is still a bit wet so I know its still setting, but will the cracking eventually stop on the render? I assume I have to do a few coats of this stuff, how thick should it go??
Cheers
Scotty
It looks like there is too much clay in the sand, you need washed sand for render, its the clay shrinking that causes the cracks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Laborer

Hi Scotty,
Great looking job so far!
This might be what you're describing regarding the door design. All mild steel and works great!

Cheers,
Russell.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ign-17110.html (Insulated door design...)

Old 02-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Slump cracks can be avoided by the following

Render layers should be applied to about 1/2" thick.
No clay in the mix.
Make the mix thick (not too much water)
Wet the substrate before applying the render.Skip this point because there would be no point wetting the blanket.
Use sharp sand not grains that are rounded. I use silica sand.
Add fibres to the mix.

I use 4:1:1 silica sand, lime, cement.This is a well tested and recommended recipe.
You should not do the work if it is exposed to sun or wind if possible.
I also wrap the whole thing in cling wrap, for one week, to hold in moisture while it dries and to increase strength.

Last edited by david s; 02-01-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: thought of more
Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Peasant

Ok so I have pressed on with the build this week. Have reduced the qty of Fire Clay in the mix to see if that reduces the cracking, and it seems to have worked. I have 3 layers of render on there now each with less FC and each showing less cracks. But yet to fire it up for a big burn yet. Its only had a couple of small burns and the original 30 odd hours of gas burner heat.
Here is the sandstone that Im intending to do the bench with.

I have a nice laser cut stainless facia on the front

I was thinking of going for Blue as the dome colour, but after seeing it I have changed my mind, will now try a dark charcoal.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Peasant

I have a door being welded up today. its 6mm stainless on the fire side with 2 inches of calcium silicate sandwiched in the middle and 3mm stainless on the visible side.
Yes it is a bit heavy!! but will give me a good bicep workout when I use it.

And a perspective shot of where the oven is.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Render is always sharp washed sand with no clay otherwise the clay content will shrink and crack.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Peasant

Doug if you look at the perspective picture you will see a nice big stainless fridge, that is my beer and wine fridge!!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Peasant

I ended up choosing Dark Charcoal for the colour.

The door, its a little over engineered Weighs in at about 15 KG..... whoops. Oh well workout time.

Door in the hole.