Old 10-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: SC Chris's 42" WFO build

Step by step the oven gets closer to being done. Yesterday I got the entrance walls ready for the front arch and tightening of the flue area. Today I got the arch and a few bricks closer to getting a flue in place. I have a bit of mortar cleanup to do and tighten flue so a chimney fits tight.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
SC Chris's 42" WFO build-frontarch.jpg   SC Chris's 42" WFO build-insidearch.jpg  
Old 10-05-2009, 04:33 AM
Laborer

I bet you're getting quite excited at this point Chris.
It looks like a fair dinkum oven now hey.
Paul
Old 10-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Paulyboy, at this point I'm counting the days. Even without a formal chimney on top of the brick stack, I should be having pizza and braised lamb shank by the end of the month. Yum!!

Chris
Old 10-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Peasant

Your dome is ridiculously clean! What did you do to keep it that clean? I've been trying to use a sponge and water as I go, but that seems to be greying up the tan bricks a bit. What's the secret?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wayner,

I soak the bricks, set a couple of bricks and wipe / scrub then on to the next group. Also in the entry, the brick faces are cut and don't absorb grout or stain as easily. The biggest plus's are that bricks are wet so they don't grab and suck in the grout, and grout is close to the brick color, so I don't think you see what staining there is.

The biggest secret is to wipe things down right away with clean water and change the water.

Try this:

Take 2 brick fragments, one dry, one wet and and grout these up. Wipe them down with clean water and a clean sponge and look at the difference. If you will, can, take a picture and let us know what you find.

Chris

PS If you look at the interior of the dome, you'll see that it's not nearly as clean as the entry. It's just a function of access and eye sight. One of the downsides of the Indespensable tool is that it does limit access to the interior of the dome until it's removed.

PSS In retrospect I wouldn't want to use anything that I wasn't sure was safe to eat on the bricks, so I edited out a bit.

Last edited by SCChris; 10-05-2009 at 07:15 PM. Reason: PSS removed some text
Old 10-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Apprentice

Chris,
Very nice build! I'm on my 6th course for my 42" oven and can't wait to drop the keystone in! One question...How did you get away with such small loints on the outside of the bricks (in the vertical direction)? I am shooting for a 19" dome height and the gaps from course to course are much larger than yours. How tall did your dome end-up being on the inside?
Good luck with the rest of your build!

Regards,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
SC Chris's 42" WFO build-dome-drystack-rear.jpg  

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Apprentice

Chris
Impressive build. Going up quick and with such clean lines.
Congrats.
Greg

Click to see my Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click to see Google web album:

Old 10-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Greg and Bob!

Bob, I sliced about 1/2 inch wedge off of the top front side. The 10" saw will only get 3.5 inches toward the back so I was left with about an inch of uncut brick on the top back. Look closely at the top of the bricks showing and you'll see a line an inch in from the outside of the dome. Oh and I ended up at 23" inches max height on the inside. I'm 43 inches in diameter and this should have put me at 21.5 but the indispensable tool was up another inch or so. I don't figure it matters much to me or the pizza in the end.

Happy building!

Chris

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
SC Chris's 42" WFO build-10-top.jpg  

Last edited by SCChris; 10-05-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Chris,
Just wanted to say nice looking build.. Keep up the good work

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Peasant

Chris,

Thanks for the advice on cleaning. I was about to try the grout/tile sealer as I had some laying around from a slate tile project. But I was a little wary about the stuff getting soaked into the firebrick too far and not holding onto enough mortar - didn't cross my mind about the food safety aspect...

I guess I'll just need to keep my water cleaner and get a sponge that's not withering away on me.

It would also help if my FB mortar wasn't dark grey.

Anyways, congrats on completing the dome. Hope you celebrated the keystone.

-wayne