Old 09-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: SC Chris's 42" WFO build

One more course and the cork! Yahoo!!

Thanks for the complement Bandrasco. There have been courses where I felt that the rim looked a bit like a LP record that got a bit to much sun, but things like that seem to just clear up with a bit of fussing on the next course. As for the clean outside, I must have wiped each brick 10 or more times. As you get up a couple courses I'd see a hairline crack between bricks that the mortar in my hand was just right for and Id end up cleaning up again. The funny thing is that I know that it'll all be covered up in insulation soon, but what the heck I makes for a pretty picture..

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
SC Chris's 42" WFO build-dsc_0259.jpg   SC Chris's 42" WFO build-dsc_0258.jpg   SC Chris's 42" WFO build-dsc_0257.jpg  
Old 09-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Laborer

Great looking dome, gives me something to aim towards.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Red face Re: SC Chris's 42" WFO build

Thanks 3G! I think there are better ones out there, or at a minimum builds that articulate the process better. I'm so looking forward to closing the dome. I referenced JCG31's slope and bevel chart, and my dome courses match almost exactly. Where I differ is that my floor is 43" so, in the end, I'll have one more course. At this point I have a 9" diameter on the inside and 10.25" on the top of the dome. I'm at 82 degrees or so right now. If my courses run as expected, they'll close the diameter from 9 to 5.5 to a 1.5 inch keystone.

I have 13 bricks in the last ring, I'm not sure if I'll run 8 in the next ring or 12. I'd like to keep the joints staggered and I'd rather end up with an odd number of bricks cradling the keystone. Somehow it seems like the load would be more distributed with an odd number. I'll be removing the indispensable tool after this next ring.. Thanks Hendo!

Chris

PS Thanks JCG31!

Last edited by SCChris; 04-27-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It turned out to be one more course of 11 bricks and 3 in the cork!! Now for the front arch and chimney.. Oh yeh and clean and inspect the inside one more time..

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
SC Chris's 42" WFO build-top.jpg  
Old 09-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Master Builder

Very cool keystone(s)! Do you have a shot from the inside?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I do Mike, but I wanted to give her a full scrub and inspect for voids that need some quick attention. Oh what the heck..

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
SC Chris's 42" WFO build-inside.jpg  
Old 09-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Master Builder

Be proud of her, she looks great!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Journeyman

Oh, gee. I wish I had been more careful and made that beautiful dome top like you did!

Imagine, every time I rationalized "who's going to look inside at the top of my oven???", had I only realized, that I, every time I fire it, and ANYONE I AM HAVING PIZZA WITH, will look up at that sloppy brickwork...EVERY TIME THE TOP GOES WHITE...

... but, it cooks, and the outside of my dome is usually cooler than the ambient air temp, so I know the heat is just jamming into those bricks.

Your dome looks fine, though. Good job.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chris, your dome interior looks awesome. As Lars says, you get to see your great work every time you fire up to pizza temps. Looking at all your brick work, it looks so good, I don't remember if you've done this kind of stuff before but I guess there's not a lot of construction that mimics building a Pompeii dome oven.

So, you've got the outer arch and vent transition to tackle now. It looks like you have a great opportunity to tie the front arch-shoulder bricks somehow into the vent-transition-angle bricks. Are you going smear on any "cladding" or wait to see what you have left over in mortar? I had plenty when I switched to home brew but the 1/4" I put on has worked fine for me and my firings (although I have nothing to compare it to).

Again, great job and congratulations on plugging up the dome! Nice keystone. -Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Some people see the little imperfections and some don't see any at all no matter how big. I tend toward the first group and your feedback helps me to put balance into the project.

Dino, I have no mason background, so for me this has been a stretch. The structure work is something I have a bit of background in, 35 years ago I was a carpenter apprentice, read cheap labor here.. Since then, I’ve renovated this or that around our 40 year old house and call the professionals when I need to, time and money are always factors. Anyway it’s a very cool project and although pride isn’t something that comes easy, I am proud!!

I don’t anticipate that the front arch is going to be a problem, aesthetics aside. I’m wrestling with the cost of the Duravent components. WOW these are priced like gold! This of course defines how the chimney ties in. Would I be better served with SS stove pipe at less than half the price? I don’t yet know.. As for coating the dome with mortar, I don’t know the answer here either. Some other options include a “moldable high temp felt”. This stuff comes in 48” x 36” from ” to 1” thick sheets and is good to better than 2000 degrees F. If this effectively seals the dome and the minor cracks that I will get, then maybe this is a good base before the 3” of insulation. The product is available from Foundry Service and supply. I don’t know the cost but the description of its use is intriguing.

Thanks again!!

Chris

PS I called the vendor for the moldable high temp felt and it's a bit costly and not really a great help for over the dome. Where this stuff excels is as insulation around somthing. The example is like an exhaust on a boat.

Last edited by SCChris; 09-29-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: further info.