Old 07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: SC Chris's 42" WFO build

Yes, directly on the 4" concrete slab.

Daren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:09 PM

I used two-and-a-half inch insblock14 under my brick floor. I plunked the boards down into the wet concrete after I poured the slab, and tapped them into the wet concrete. I understand this trick won't work with cal-sil boards, as they are very absorbent of water. My brick floor went directly on top of the boards. My support slab remains cool on the bottom at full pizza heat, although it's warmed up a bit by the next morning. (that heat has to go somewhere)
Old 07-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'd like to keep the slab as cool as possible understanding that the heat will push into the slab. Warm is ok hot isn't and I guess if the bottom of the slab remains comfortably touchable, hours after a running to Pizza temps on the inside I'm ok with that. Is the insblock14 more like a soft insulating firebrick, "SIFB"? I can get these all day long, not cheap but about the same as IB. I have wondered how IB and SIFB compair as insulators.

Chris
Old 07-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is a photo of the oven in progress.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
SC Chris's 42" WFO build-oven.jpg  
Old 07-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've ordered my insulating board from Foundry Supply in Santa Fe Springs. The bad news is that it's not cheap. The good news is that I'm comfortable that it'll better insulate than would Vermiculite Concrete and because of this I should use less wood. Additionally, since I didn't get the V.C. done when I did the structure slab, It'll save time on the build. My other plus is that the slab height stands at 38". When I add 2 for IB and 2.5 for the firebrick floor I'm at 42.5 for the oven floor rather than 44.5 inches. Some have indicated 5" of VC and this would have put me close to 46" as a floor height. I wasn't comfortable getting this high.

Now that the decision to use IB has been made, my next decision is to cut the sides of the soldier course or not. I'm cutting the top of the soldier course, it makes structural sense to me to do these cuts. I want to minimize the occurance of pie shaped grout lines as well as doing my best to stagger the joints. But I see many who don't bother to bevel the sides of the soldiers to minimize grout. I'm leaning toward making these cuts even though brick saw blades don't grow on trees.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 07-22-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Chris, I know you'll be happy with the 2" of Insulating Board. And your oven height will be just right too.

RE Soldier Course Tapering:
As you saw on my threads drawing this morning, I did NOT taper my soldiers wide side. On a 42" WFO it leaves a 9/16" gap at the outside that gets smaller across the 4.5" brick face until they touch. I think this is quite tolerable of a gap. I WAS a bit shocked though by how much of my $$$ Refmix went to fill those gaps. A smaller oven diameter would have increased the gap and I would recommend tapering. However I think this gap for a 42" is fine. And, if you did taper, that's about 40 bricks and a lot of cutting and flipping and cutting on your tile saw at a time that I'm sure you'd rather be placing your first oven ring and tackling the bigger question of "V" gaps and compound tapers!

After my 1st few ring courses that came out surprisingly tight with little mortar, I had wished I'd tapered the soldiers too, but after doing my arches, vent and the slooowwww race to the dome keystone/plug, I'm glad I didn't spend that time. BUT, that's just me. The pics of others tapered soldiers is beautiful and I envy them. So, good luck, hope this helps, -Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Apprentice

I didn't cut the sides of my soldier course for my 36" oven. There was an awful lot of mortar used to fill the gaps. If that's a concern for you, then I'd go ahead and try it, but like Dino said, I was more interested in going vertical than minimizing the pie shape for my soldier course.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Dino and Papa.. I'll give the shoulder cuts a try and see how it goes.. If I cut a few and throw in the towel on cutting the rest of the shoulders on the soldier course, it'll be with first hand knowledge. I'll know a bunch more by Sunday afternoon.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
SC Chris's 42" WFO build-oven-004.jpg   SC Chris's 42" WFO build-oven-005.jpg  

Last edited by SCChris; 07-23-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question on the IB. I'm figuring on mixing some thin set to attach the IB to the base. I’m guessing that this is what others have done but haven’t really found any mentioning of this. If I didn't live in earthquake country I might just assume that the weight and surrounding structure would hold things together.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 07-24-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Today, Saturday July 25, wasn't as productive as I would have hoped, but a step forward is better than none. I've laid out the IB rough cuts on the 4 by 6 ft panel and have what I think will allow enough left over to do a door or two at 22 by 15 or so inches. I also found Dino's narrative on how to put the IB down, Fireclay and Sand. It seems that this is the norm not the exception. My oven slab is comfortably flat and level and during framing of the pour, I created a 5 ledge in front with some compound angles and color. This was a way for me to play with pouring countertops. Im very happy with the results of this experiment although I still need to grind and polish. I, like Dino did, am chewing on what a reasonable reach is to the back of the oven. Im 62 and have a good reach but is 56 or even 6 too long from the front of the ledge? What about my wife? Hmmm?

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
SC Chris's 42" WFO build-oven-007.jpg