Old 11-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: SC Chris's 42" WFO build

What I did around the dome was use 2" Rockwool bats, sold as boards. When I bought the boards I thought I was buying bats. Bats are softer and more malleable. In the end I decided to see if I could wrap the dome with them. It was not easy and I still have areas I'm not happy with, but they work and do flex. If I were to do it again, I'd use the FB blankets to 2 inches or more and supplement this with the Rockwool and finally in the corners, furthest away from the heat, use fiberglass. I decided that the structure could be filled with insulation and the heat buildup that I saw during the cure fires didn't indicate that heat would be a problem for fiberglass in the corners, so I used the fiberglass and some minor steel framing, in the corners, as support for the Rockwool. As I button up the roof, I'll bring the Rockwool insulation to level with the top of the structure wall by laying the last boards on top. At the gable ends I'll be adding 3" vents. Moisture buildup is a greater threat to the roof, and steel studs, than heat, in my opinion. The Rockwool is something less than $40 a bundle and I've used 2, plus a bundle of fiberglass attic insulation, another $40 or so. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use the vermiculite as loose fill to get things level for the last Rockwool layer or stuff chunks of Rockwool in the gaps. Rockwool has double the R-Value of the vermiculite, about the same as fiberglass. If you do the math, I’m already at $120 in insulation. I’ll use less wood in the end to heat and have more cooking days for this amount of wood.

The door also needs formalizing. I need to cut steel to fit both sides of the door and see how I can apply the fiberglass rope around the edge to seal the gap.

I'm really curious how long I can hold the temp above 250 F, 250 is the lower end of the cooking region for me. I start to wonder about bacteria growth inside food, below this temp. I'm also curious about the heat pushing through the floor. The same insulating board material that supports the floor is what the door is made of but the heat at 48 hours was about the same on the outside of the door as the underside of the slab. It'll be interesting to see how this changes as the slab dries out from additional fires. This same continued drying out of the dome should change temps within the structure. James's feeling is that the ovens take 8 or more “full temp” fires before they stabilize and heat quicker and fire up easier.

Time will tell and I'll have additional pictures of what I’ve done this weekend.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 11-25-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This weekend I had time to put the rafters and roof sheeting on. I decided that since I had the vermiculite, I'd use it to fill over and around the insulation. In the end I have somewhere around 12 inches of various insulation over the top of the dome and have most of the voids in the structure with some sort of insulation. Around the dome and entry, Rockwool, against the outside walls fiberglass and filling everything to close to level with the top plate vermiculite. I decided that I had 48 hours of cooking time before todays stuffing of loose Rockwool into voids and adding vermiculite, this is fine with me. I'd expect the cookable time to extend with the current re-organization of insulation and a tight fitting door.

I'll likley be extending the chimney a bit to get a bit of height over the planned mission tile roof. Although it isn't seen, then wood structure shown in the photo behind the small hardie backer panels, has been trimmed back to allow a minimum of 2" inches from the chimney. Also the steel wall structure terminates with a steel top plate and 2 2X4 pressure treated plates. These pressure treated plates are what the wood rafters attach to. What would normally be caled the celing joist are steel. No wood is closer than 14" inches from the dome or entry.

I also need to have a bit of flashing fabricated to surround the chimney and tie into the roof. The front back and sides of the roof sheet will have 2X6 facia board attached. Once this is attached I'll apply metal flashing where needed and apply self adhearing rubber flashing over this. At this point the oven will be water tight.

Next time I share photos I may have granite on the front of the oven and to the right side of the oven on the wall. This right side, will be a work area and off-table food storage.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
SC Chris's 42" WFO build-front3.jpg   SC Chris's 42" WFO build-chim_bay.jpg   SC Chris's 42" WFO build-rafter.jpg  

Last edited by SCChris; 11-29-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

HI chris...
I think you got your insulation well covered... just one question... I think I see a fire extinguisher in the pic ??? were you getiing nervous

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mark,

The fire extinguisher is for whatever code might exist in our area that mandates one and, more, for the nervous neighbor. After getting the tile roof on, I can’t think what might or could catch fire. The temps above the oven, on the insulation, have been in the 90s, and all this before the final tightening up of the insulation. Smoke out the front doesn’t seem to occur, other than a quick puff at lighting, so if I raise the chimney, it’ll be keep the neighbor happy. The side benefit might be that the smoke might not stain the tile roof and I might get better flow.

I cooked turkey for the Friday after Thanksgiving, it turned out great. I ran a fire during cooking and pre-heated where the roasting pan for the turkey would sit. I hadn’t anticipated the indirect heat coming off of the dome above the pan, so after a quick browning I added a foil. Yesterday I made soup with the bones.

Chris
Old 12-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Pizza.. On Sunday I made 4. 1 Magarita, 1 Pepperoni, and 2 Goat Cheese.. Yum!! I still need work on the crust and sauce, but it was good eats! The floor ran 850f for 3 out of 4 of the pizzas. As soon as the last pizza was out I buttoned the oven up. 24 hours later I pushed in a boned leg of lamb roast and the floor was still 500f, great roast. I let the heat brown the fat cap and then covered it with foil. It was pulled at 140f and rested for 20 min before slicing. Tonight, 48 hours after pizza the floor is 385f and I put a pan of apples to bake and the lamb revisited as hash. I'll be interested to see where the oven is tomorrow at 72 hours. I don't know I'll be able to wait till 72 hours to get the temp, I recieved flour and the Tuscan Grill from FG, and I'm itching to see how good the steak tastes cooked over almond wood coals.

At 72 hours 245f on the floor and 268f at the top of the dome. I put a fry pan of the leftover hash to warm up for dinner.

I'm amazed at how well these ovens can hold the heat..

Chris

Sorry no pictures this time.

Last edited by SCChris; 12-30-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added addl info.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is an updated photo of the build. I still have stucco to get on the enclosure and a mission tile roof, but it's weather tight and cooking.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
SC Chris's 42" WFO build-jan2010.jpg  
Old 01-18-2010, 03:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Chris,
Looking great.. for the stucco have you considered using the Quikrete Surface bonding cement, Great stuff, easy to work with on any skill level. A little pricey, about 17.00 a bag and you woud need 3 or 4.
Cheers
Mark
QUIKRETE® - QUIKWALL® Surface Bonding Cement
Old 01-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the referal Mark,
I haven't targeted a specific product for the stucco yet. I'll take a look at the Quikwall. I have some stonework that I want to get placed on the oven before I start the stucco. I was hoping this would happen before the new year, sigh! On a brighter note, my brother and sister in law have some mission roof tile in there garage that they want to donate to the cause.

Chris
Old 02-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Although I haven't done much for the last month, the project is still moving along. Carl, a long time friend and stone / tile craftsman has been busy forming the granite landing and work area. Thursday he set the stone in front of the oven and formed the base of support for the work area to the right of the oven, Monday he’ll set the slab. Since I've been cooking in the oven it's been awkward running from kitchen to the oven and back. The original plan included the adjacent work area and I’m excited to have the granite in.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
SC Chris's 42" WFO build-feb2010-003.jpg  
Old 02-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks really great Chris!
That was a really good idea to build the counter there next to the oven. Was that an existing planter/patio wall that you just poured a counter on? It looks like a perfect spot, just made for it.
Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread